The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Destination: Outer Space - The premiere is upon us! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=120181)

OmahaStar April 30 2010 03:02 AM

Destination: Outer Space - The premiere is upon us!

Destination: Outer Space, the fifth movie in Christopher R. Mihm's series of 50s-style movies, is coming out in less than a month.

May 25th, 7:30 pm, in Columbia Heights (Minneapolis) MN.

Tickets to the world premiere are only $7.50 (not a typo, what a bargain!) here.

D:OS is the fifth movie in this series, which began four years ago when The Monster of Phantom Lake was unleashed upon an unsuspecting public.

Why do I care so much? Well, beyond them being 100% pure fun, you'll be able to see me in this one. I play a Quark-like character in an alien-filled bar straight out of the Star Wars cantina.

A bit about the films ... They are all family-friendly. They can be seen by small children as well as adults, without pandering to kids. Like Doctor Who, the scripts work on multiple levels. And while you'll get more out of it if you see them all, you don't need to see them in order to appreciate Destination: Outer Space.

So why don't you come along and share the fun?

Captain Euphoria May 1 2010 07:40 AM

Re: Destination: Outer Space - The premiere is upon us!

I'll be there!

RJDiogenes May 1 2010 10:51 AM

I wish I could come (thanks for the invite). Unfortunately, I'm too far away to make it. I can't wait to see the movie, though.

As I said in the other Thread:

Quote:

RJDiogenes wrote: (Post 3951824)
I have this movie on pre-order, and I own all the previous ones; I highly recommend them all for those who love the classic B&W Drive-In movies of the good old-days. They're all very amusing, but not quite in the way of Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra (which I also love). These movies, beyond the comedy and gentle satire, have real stories and the characters are treated respectfully. From the sweet and awkward romance of the first movie to the guy who will stop at nothing to save his kids in the last one, they are all characters you can care about.

And the casting is really good, too. The guy who plays Dr Jackson (and his descendent) is hilarious. There's one actor who plays two very different parts in a couple of movies and I almost didn't know it was the same guy. And the women from Mars are all incredible. There's not a badly cast part in any of these movies; they're all very distinctive character-actor types, just like in the best of the old movies.

Great stuff. :bolian:

OmahaStar May 1 2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Captain Euphoria wrote: (Post 4040513)
I'll be there!

You better be there, Mista DeMihm. :P

S. Gomez May 2 2010 02:24 AM

Have previous films been released on DVD?

ETA: Never mind, just found the official site where you can order them. :)

OmahaStar May 2 2010 04:12 AM

Quote:

S. Gomez wrote: (Post 4042247)
Have previous films been released on DVD?

ETA: Never mind, just found the official site where you can order them. :)

Oh, yes. And I think you'll quite enjoy them.

And only 10 bucks each, it's a bargain. One thing about the dvds ... After you watch the movies the first time, watch them again sometime with the subtitles on. They're hilarious.

Dayton Ward May 2 2010 04:09 PM

A name like Destination: Outer Space just screams retro 50s Sci-Fi, and I say that with all possible respect. :techman:

OmahaStar May 2 2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Dayton Ward wrote: (Post 4043296)
A name like Destination: Outer Space just screams retro 50s Sci-Fi, and I say that with all possible respect. :techman:

Ah, but it is exactly like that. With some Star Wars and Ghostbusters thrown in for more fun.

OmahaStar May 30 2010 05:43 AM

It was AWESOME!

First, my review ...

Quote:

Destination: Outer Space is the fifth movie in a series of offbeat black and white homages to 50s era atomic/monster movies. It is a semi-sequel to the third, Cave Women on Mars, which introduced the main character, Captain Jackson.

Following the events of that third movie, Jackson has returned to Earth and was drummed out of the service. He was an astronaut. When his best friend shows up with a new job offer - returning to Rocket Command, in command of a fancy new single-person ship - he jumps at the chance.

Couple slight problems. One, he's a big old alcoholic. Two, something goes terribly wrong, and what was supposed to be a simple jump around the solar system lands him on the other side of the galaxy.

It's there that he stumbles into my ... er, B'Kee's bar, which is straight out of the Star Wars cantina. It's full of strange, exotic beings including one Yureena Null. I don't know if it was intentional (it's not mentioned in the commentary), but Yureena sounds like a female Londo Mollari.

Once these two meet, the plot goes at ludicrous speed, with loads of cameos, an ill-tempered robot, and the most horrifying monsters yet.

Technically speaking, it's the best Mihm film yet. Speaking as a fan, I have to agree, it's the best one yet.

Fans of the other movies will find a LOT of tie-ins and little gifts. But the writer has done a fantastic job of leaving it accessible for new viewers. (I watched it again today with people who hadn't seen any of the earlier movies, and they were following along with no problem, laughing at the right spots and enjoying it like they would any other movie)
And now, my comments on the night, and a little behind the scenes tidbits.

RJDiogenes May 30 2010 09:49 AM

So when do the DVDs ship? :cool:

OmahaStar May 30 2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

RJDiogenes wrote: (Post 4123173)
So when do the DVDs ship? :cool:

They started shipping the day after the premiere, Wednesday.

RJDiogenes May 30 2010 10:36 PM

Great. Hopefully I'll get mine this week.

Forbin May 31 2010 04:19 PM

Link to the DVD site for the other films plz? :)

FalTorPan May 31 2010 05:56 PM

Clicky

RJDiogenes June 5 2010 07:07 PM

I actually got this a few days ago and didn't know it. I forgot that the PayPal screw up from my previous order would carry through, so it got delivered to my Mother's house. I got it today and I should be able to watch it sometime over the weekend. :bolian: