The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TrekToday News Items (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Shatner For Governor General (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=119543)

TrekToday April 21 2010 08:50 PM

Shatner For Governor General

When the current Governor General steps down this year, readers of The Mark, a Canadian online political publication, have a candidate to replace her, the one and only Captain Kirk!In a very informal poll, Shatner is handily beating the other candidates, which include hockey stars Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky.The Governor General is the viceregal [...]

More...

23skidoo April 22 2010 01:43 AM

Re: Shatner For Governor General

Cool as that might be (and it could be argued he has a many qualifications as the last few G-G's) I thought The Shat took out American citizenship some time ago, which would disqualify him. Yes, I know our present G-G was born in Haiti, but she's been a Canadian citizen for decades, and Shatner would have to get it again, and the clock might start over again - too late for him to apply for the job. Of course, I happily stand corrected if I'm wrong so someone correct me, please! ;)

Alex

Colonel Green April 22 2010 02:07 AM

I am the only Canadian who finds the notion of an American like T'Bonz suggesting a candidate for Governor General of Canada offensive?

Mr. Laser Beam April 22 2010 02:38 AM

^ But Bonz herself isn't suggesting anything. The readers of the Canadian publication are. She's just reporting it.

As for Shatner's citizenship: Does the fact that he became an American citizen automatically nullify his Canadian citizenship? I didn't know it worked like that.

Geck April 22 2010 03:21 AM

^ It wouldn't, no. He most likely has dual citizenship, unless he renounced his Canadian citizenship. I'm not 100% sure though, so don't quote me on how it works.

T'Bonz April 22 2010 03:36 AM

Quote:

Colonel Green wrote: (Post 4015964)
I am the only Canadian who finds the notion of an American like T'Bonz suggesting a candidate for Governor General of Canada offensive?

I don't recollect suggesting him as candidate. :rolleyes:

As much as I like Shatner's portrayal of Kirk, I don't make the mistake as so many seem to do of thinking that a character's qualities are reflected in the actor portraying that character. I have no idea whether Shatner would be good in that office or not and since I'm not Canadian, I haven't wasted much time thinking about it, other than a brief smile at the article and a quick bit of research to see what the office entailed, just because I'm the curious sort.

And by the way, you're beginning to ruin my normally excellent opinion of Canadians. It would be helpful for the reputation of your fellow Canadians in future if instead of opening your mouth and uttering stupidities like you just did, you do something more useful. Might I suggest emigrating somewhere that doesn't have Internet access? Your fellow Canadians will thank you. ;)

Mr. Laser Beam April 22 2010 04:41 AM

Quote:

T'Bonz wrote: (Post 4016150)
And by the way, you're beginning to ruin my normally excellent opinion of Canadians.

Watch a lot of Corner Gas, Bonz. That'll raise it again. :techman: :D

Agent Richard07 April 22 2010 05:33 AM

Having Captain Kirk as Governor General?

[Shatnervoice]It would be... Fun![/Shatnervoice]

:bolian:

Quote:

Geck wrote: (Post 4016126)
He most likely has dual citizenship, unless he renounced his Canadian citizenship.

I don't think anyone actually does that.

Geck April 22 2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Agent Richard07 wrote: (Post 4016331)

Quote:

Geck wrote: (Post 4016126)
He most likely has dual citizenship, unless he renounced his Canadian citizenship.

I don't think anyone actually does that.

Yeah, I can't imagine why anyone would either, unless they wanted to get citizenship somewhere else that didn't allow dual (or more, as the case may be) citizenship.

As to the topic at hand.....umm. I love the Shat, and this would certainly be...amusing. But no. He may be appropriate in the eyes of those who consider the continued existence of the office to be a farce, but I still believe in its value, especially in the direction Michaelle Jean has taken it. While the role of the office within Canada itself is basically an empty figurehead, she's used the position to be a fantastic diplomatic ambassador for the country. My actual pick for GG would be to give her a second term, but sadly that's not happening.