The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Most foreboding music (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=119366)

Deckerd April 19 2010 12:14 PM

Most foreboding music

Is / are there any passage(s) of music that fill you with foreboding or even make your flesh creep?

We had a conversation a few months ago which brought up the male voice choir singing For those in Peril on the Sea when the sub is going through its dive routine in Crimson Tide, which was just spine-tingling.

On a more pseudy note, I was listening to the prelude to Act 3 of Tristan und Isolde by Wagner the other day and was impressed the doom-laden atmosphere it creates.

Niorah April 19 2010 12:30 PM

Re: Most foreboding music

Clint Mansell - Lux Aeterna (Requiem for a Dream OST)

In my mind it is tied to scenes of nuclear apocalypse. Awful. :(

GodThingFormerly April 19 2010 12:49 PM

Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi (O Fortuna) from Carl Orff's cantata Carmina Burana was the first thing that popped into my brain when reading the title of this thread, but when it comes to cinema I remember being mightily impressed/petrified as an eight year old by Jerry Goldsmith's The Cloud and V'ger Flyover from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. BTW, Zdeněk Liška's score for the 1963 Czech(oslovak) sci-fi film Ikarie XB 1 - in particular the cue heard during the film's climax as the titular starship approaches the "White Planet" and we see an alien megalopolis on the bridge viewscreen - is certainly not appropriate listening for those who may be semi-seriously contemplating suicide. :lol:

SLR

Deckerd April 19 2010 01:00 PM

I remember singing Carmina Burana when I was a member of a choir. We started a run through of the O Fortuna! and started slowing down in the closing bars. "You don't slow down, you speed up!" shouted the director, "this is nae a hymn!"

Mutai Sho-Rin April 19 2010 01:07 PM

Rachel Maddow has made a point on her show of deriding extremist Republican TV ads using O Fortuna as the background for their fantasy of an Obama inspired apocalypse.

Shaw April 19 2010 01:29 PM

Bela Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta, specifically Andante tranquillo and Adagio, though parts of Allegro molto might also qualify.

Samual Barbar's Adagio for Strings, Krzystof Penderecki's Threnody For The Victims Of Hiroshima For 52 Stringed Instruments and De Natura Sonoris II For Orchestra (which sound very much like the music from Altered States by John Corigliano), Space Requiem by Stomu Yamash'ta, and Title music for the movie The Bounty by Vangelis Papathanassiou are honorable mentions.

FPAlpha April 19 2010 03:40 PM

The Theme from Jaws.. 'nuff said

A buddy of mine has the Imperial March playing as a ringtone whenever his mum calls him on his mobile :lol::lol:

Hermiod April 19 2010 04:43 PM

"In the House - In a Heartbeat" by John Murphy from 28 Days Later.

Geckothan April 19 2010 05:09 PM

John Barry - Capsule in Space

Hermiod April 19 2010 05:36 PM

^Good choice! :techman:

Omnius April 19 2010 05:44 PM

Alien - Main Title by Jerry Goldsmith.

The Mist - Host of the Seraphim (by Dead Can Dance)

Scotty April 19 2010 06:02 PM

Bit off topic I know, but how do you mention to embed that Youtube video in your post?

Geckothan April 19 2010 06:06 PM

[ yt ] *link to video* [ / yt ] without the spaces.

Mr. B April 19 2010 06:08 PM

O Fortuna and Adagio for Strings immediately come to mind... sorry I couldn't think of anything more original.

Scotty April 19 2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Geckothan wrote: (Post 4009077)
John Barry - Capsule in Space

Good, but not as good as this one, IMO: