The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science and Technology (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=118092)

Ugly Sweater April 2 2010 12:01 AM

BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
The New York Times says the iPad is "too heavy."

LINK

How much does the iPad weigh? A pound a half.

Damn that is heavy!

If you are a octogenarian with arthritis and you weigh 76 lbs. And you have bone cancer. And you're really tired.

1.5 lbs as being "too heavy." :rolleyes:

CuttingEdge100 April 2 2010 01:41 AM

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
That doesn't sound heavy at all...

Rķu rķu, chķu April 2 2010 01:48 AM

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
The reviewer sounds like a case of Grade A Whiner to me. :rolleyes:

Arrqh April 2 2010 02:02 AM

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
Um... seriously? This is a rant? And people are agreeing?

That was in the "techie" section where they were specifically comparing it to other e-readers. As they pointed out, the Kindle is only 10oz which makes the iPad 2.5x heavier. They also never said it was "too heavy" but instead that it starts to feel heavy in your hand after a while when using it as an e-reader.

If it's an e-reader you're after, then there are better choices then the iPad. That's what they were saying in the article. Context matters. Here is the actual passage and the only place the word "heavy" appears in the entire article:

Quote:

There’s an e-book reader app, but it’s not going to rescue the newspaper and book industries (sorry, media pundits). The selection is puny (60,000 titles for now). You can’t read well in direct sunlight. At 1.5 pounds, the iPad gets heavy in your hand after awhile (the Kindle is 10 ounces). And you can’t read books from the Apple bookstore on any other machine — not even a Mac or iPhone.

clint g April 2 2010 02:03 AM

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
Well that settles it. The iPad is officialy....


FAIL

Ugly Sweater April 2 2010 02:06 AM

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
Quote:

Arrqh wrote: (Post 3965179)
Um... seriously? This is a rant? And people are agreeing?

That was in the "techie" section where they were specifically comparing it to other e-readers. As they pointed out, the Kindle is only 10oz which makes the iPad 2.5x heavier. They also never said it was "too heavy" but instead that it starts to feel heavy in your hand after a while when using it as an e-reader.

If it's an e-reader you're after, then there are better choices then the iPad. That's what they were saying in the article. Context matters. Here is the actual passage and the only place the word "heavy" appears in the entire article:

Quote:

There’s an e-book reader app, but it’s not going to rescue the newspaper and book industries (sorry, media pundits). The selection is puny (60,000 titles for now). You can’t read well in direct sunlight. At 1.5 pounds, the iPad gets heavy in your hand after awhile (the Kindle is 10 ounces). And you can’t read books from the Apple bookstore on any other machine — not even a Mac or iPhone.

If a pound and a half "gets heavy" for you after any length of time you've got some serious muscular issues.

clint g April 2 2010 02:08 AM

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
The whole not being able to read the books on the Mac issue seems like a bit more of a problem to me. It'll probably be fixed by the end of the month though.

Arrqh April 2 2010 02:10 AM

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
Quote:

Trekker4747 wrote: (Post 3965192)
If a pound and a half "gets heavy" for you after any length of time you've got some serious muscular issues.

The point is, since you missed it in both my post and the actual article, that there are better devices for use as an e-reader then the iPad. In a mobile device that you use for long periods of time, weight matters.

And again, at no point did the author actually say it was "too heavy." Did you even read the whole article? Because the overall tone is actually positive and at one point he actually referes to the iPad as "light". He only calls it heavy compared to other e-readers and this is absolutely correct. So again: seriously?

Rķu rķu, chķu April 2 2010 02:11 AM

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
Ah, but the burning question is, will Star Trek e-books be available for the iPad? ;)

Lindley April 2 2010 03:45 AM

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
Of of curiosity, anyone know the average weight of an MMPB?

Admiral Buzzkill April 2 2010 03:52 AM

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
[QUOTE=Arrqh;3965179]
Quote:

There’s an e-book reader app, but it’s not going to rescue the newspaper and book industries (sorry, media pundits). The selection is puny (60,000 titles for now). You can’t read well in direct sunlight. At 1.5 pounds, the iPad gets heavy in your hand after awhile (the Kindle is 10 ounces). And you can’t read books from the Apple bookstore on any other machine — not even a Mac or iPhone.
And, in total, that's a good strong argument against choosing the iPad as a e-book reader.

AdmiralGarak April 2 2010 04:00 AM

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
The reviewer on CNN also said the weight bothered him after a while.

Ugly Sweater April 2 2010 04:14 AM

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
I say again, if a pound and half weight bothers you after any stretch of time you've got issues.

Flavius April 2 2010 04:17 AM

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
Apple has now made available the guided tours.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

Avoiding the carpal tunnel syndrome (and the like) is included ;)

Seriously, I don't think that the Kindle(s) are going to become roadkill instantly, but it's hard to fathom why somebody would choose a Kindle over the iPad, a one-trick-pony over a multi-talent?

It's a different story, for sure, if you already own a Kindle and a laptop.

Admiral Buzzkill April 2 2010 04:23 AM

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.
 
Quote:

Trekker4747 wrote: (Post 3965522)
I say again, if a pound and half weight bothers you after any stretch of time you've got issues.

Say whatever you like. If I say that "if buying a real book bothers you, you've got issues" it's as valid and makes as much sense as your assertion.

I swear, the lengths people will go to, to defend Apple's junk...


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.