The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   SUPERMAN (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=114868)

Jetfire February 18 2010 03:29 PM

SUPERMAN

Would people(meaning you) be ok with the next Superman movie just being called...SUPERMAN?

From what I am hearing it will be a reboot...why not do the STAR TREK 2009 thing and just call it SUPERMAN.

Admiral Buzzkill February 18 2010 03:31 PM

Re: SUPERMAN

Why not?

Hermiod February 18 2010 03:31 PM

I would have no problem with that at all.

Jetfire February 18 2010 03:35 PM

For some reason Batman Begins didn't sit well with me...it was a reboot and not a prequel...right???

[edit] That film should have been just been called "BATMAN".

Brent February 18 2010 03:39 PM

i get so confused these days on what's a reboot, what's a prequel, what's a sequel, etc.... they should make these things much more clear

Nardpuncher February 18 2010 03:43 PM

I say go for it.

If in a couple of years I tell someone I'm going to see Superman tomorrow night and they say "But that came out 30 years ago!" I'll punch them in the neck.

It also beats any of those stupid title that start with RE- and always sound so melodramatic, like Rebirth, Resurrection or Redemption. Those sound like something for CineMax at 3AM.

Shazam! February 18 2010 03:46 PM

If they must insist on a sub-title let it be Man of Steel

Out Of My Vulcan Mind February 18 2010 03:53 PM

Superman would be just fine as the title. In fact it would be the first Superman feature film ever to use the title (and the first big screen Superman adventure since the 1948 film serial to use it).

Jetfire February 18 2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Shazam! wrote: (Post 3847487)

Actually just "Man Of Steel" would be better than Superman Man Of Steel or Unleased...dumb stuff like that.

I actually preferred The Dark Night over Batman Begins as a title.

Nardpuncher February 18 2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Jetfire wrote: (Post 3847500)
Quote:

Shazam! wrote: (Post 3847487)

Actually just "Man Of Steel" would be better than Superman Man Of Steel or Unleased...dumb stuff like that.

I actually preferred The Dark Night over Batman Begins as a title.

Then let's save Man of Steel for the sequel just like Batman did!

RandyS February 18 2010 05:27 PM

Just calling it SUPERMAN is too complicated. How about something simple, like:

SUPERMAN THE LAST SON OF KRYPTON THE MAN OF STEEL KAL-EL CLARK KENT?

Covers everything that way.

Bad Bishop February 18 2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: (Post 3847498)
Superman would be just fine as the title. In fact it would be the first Superman feature film ever to use the title (and the first big screen Superman adventure since the 1948 film serial to use it).

"Superman" (1978) is an official title, at least according to IMDb. It's also what was displayed in the opening credits.

"Superman--The Movie" was only for advertising purposes.

Out Of My Vulcan Mind February 18 2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Bad Bishop wrote: (Post 3847741)
"Superman" (1978) is an official title, at least according to IMDb. It's also what was displayed in the opening credits.

"Superman--The Movie" was only for advertising purposes.

It's branded as Superman - The Movie in all of its home entertainment releases. That title has solidified as its official title, even if it was only initially meant to be used for advertising purposes. You're right, though, that the opening credits just say Superman.

Brikar99 February 18 2010 06:34 PM

I don't care what it's called if it's a good movie.

Electric Coleslaw February 18 2010 06:35 PM

I don't know. Star Trek worked because there was no movie of that name before without the sub-titles. I'd imagine that since Superman-The Movie is still a bit entrenched in everyone's minds that they'd have to add a sub-title to a new flick.

I just hope they don't waste time with an origin story. If you don't know that Supes came from Krypton, becomes Clark Kent etc. then you should go see the new Sandra Bullock movie instead.