The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Sports and Fitness (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Vancouver Olympics Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=114002)

SJSharksfan39 February 5 2010 08:27 AM

Vancouver Olympics Discussion

So in case anyone hasn't heard, the Vancouver Olympics are coming up soon, which causes a 2 week interruption to the NHL season of all things. Anyone looking forward to it?

I was, but I really really hate NBC right now. I still watch Parks and Rec and 30 Rock, but they believe I would prefer to watch the Olympics, which are taking place in the Pacific Time Zone in a nice 3+ hour package at 8:00 at night on a 3 hour delay. Yeah, again I can't get the Olympics live (Other than maybe the Cable portions and hopefully the Hockey Gold Medal game unless that's on NBC). They say they've done extensive market research, well guess what, I WASN'T ASKED. For all I care, NBC can go fuck themselves. As a matter of fact, I wish they would fuck themselves and just die as a network. Hey, if Conan can land on his feet in September, so could a lot of the other "good" people who unfortunately work for that pathetic excuse for a network.

Anyway, I might watch some of it, but their "coverage" treats their viewers like shit and I will be happy when they do go bankrupt after these games and then maybe we can get a real network like ESPN to carry the games after 2012.

As for the games themselves, looking forward to the Hockey, and my mood might change when they get started, but man I wish P N R and 30 Rock were on a different network.

Roger Wilco February 5 2010 08:31 AM

Re: Vancouver Olympics Discussion

Not airing sports events live is ridiculous, totally defeats the purpose.

Timewalker February 5 2010 09:26 AM

Move to Canada. We ALWAYS get the important hockey games aired live, no matter what time they happen to be on (yes, I got up at 2 a.m. to watch Canada get the crap beaten out of us the year we came in FOURTH... :alienblush:)

Happily, Vancouver is just one time zone earlier than mine, so pretty much everything should be aired live, at non-weird hours. :)

SJSharksfan39 February 5 2010 09:31 AM

See, I would, but that is a bit unfeasible at this time in my life. Same with the east coast and central coast.

Timewalker February 5 2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

tomalak301 wrote: (Post 3812914)
See, I would, but that is a bit unfeasible at this time in my life. Same with the east coast and central coast.

Central coast? :cardie:

:confused:

SJSharksfan39 February 5 2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Timewalker wrote: (Post 3812919)
Quote:

Midwest. I'm in a bit of a east/west coast frame of mind so it just came out. There is no coast in the midwest, even though there is the Golf coast.

BigFoot February 5 2010 11:59 PM

I'm definitely looking forward to hockey. And of course all the events we're participating (mostly skiing, ski jumping, and cross country).

Timewalker February 6 2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

tomalak301 wrote: (Post 3812920)
Quote:

Quote:

Midwest. I'm in a bit of a east/west coast frame of mind so it just came out. There is no coast in the midwest, even though there is the Golf coast.

I knew the midwestern U.S. has no coast, but I had no idea that you have a special coast dedicated to the game of golf. U.S. geography seems more unusual than I'd thought... :wtf:

BigFoot February 6 2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Gulf ;)

Canadave February 6 2010 03:31 AM

Looking forwards to 'em, especially men's and women's hockey and curling. Always enjoy the bobsleigh\luge\skelton, for the sheer appeal of people going down icy tubes at insane speeds. With any luck, Canada can own the podium this year. :techman:

SJSharksfan39 February 6 2010 04:04 AM

Quote:

Timewalker wrote: (Post 3814698)
Quote:

Quote:

I knew the midwestern U.S. has no coast, but I had no idea that you have a special coast dedicated to the game of golf. U.S. geography seems more unusual than I'd thought... :wtf:

Quote:

BigFoot wrote: (Post 3814705)
Quote:

Gulf ;)

Whatever.

Steven February 6 2010 04:40 AM

Quote:

Canadave wrote: (Post 3815285)
Looking forwards to 'em, especially men's and women's hockey and curling. Always enjoy the bobsleigh\luge\skelton, for the sheer appeal of people going down icy tubes at insane speeds. With any luck, Canada can own the podium this year. :techman:

Hear hear! :techman:

Hopefully we won't have a slow start like the Beijing Olympics with no medals almost halfway through the games.

Canadave February 6 2010 05:11 AM

Quote:

Steven wrote: (Post 3815479)
Quote:

Canadave wrote: (Post 3815285)

Hear hear! :techman:

Hopefully we won't have a slow start like the Beijing Olympics with no medals almost halfway through the games.

I highly doubt it... isn't speed skating amongst the first events to begin giving out medals? That's traditionally one of our strengths.

Steven February 6 2010 06:13 AM

Yup, we should be in good shape this year.

BigFoot February 6 2010 09:49 AM

^ Well as an "honorary Canadian" I'll be rooting for you guys. ;)