The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New amateur footage of Challenger disaster surfaces (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=113891)

Savage Dragon February 3 2010 09:15 PM

New amateur footage of Challenger disaster surfaces

I just came across this video and thought it was kind of interesting. It was shot about 70 miles away from the launch site by a guy trying out his new betamax camcorder.

http://nycaviation.com/2010/01/31/pr...nger-disaster/

It's kind of eerie how they slowly come to realize what has just happened.

Yeoman Randi February 3 2010 09:26 PM

Re: New amateur footage of Challenger disaster surfaces

Sadly i remember the Challenger disaster like it happened yesterday. I had the television on and i brought my then 2 year old son in to watch the takeoff with me. I remember well how it took me (and everyone else) so long to realize what we had seen. Just heartbreaking. It was really something for that man to turn the tape over before he passed on.

Thanks for sharing that heartbreaking link with us.

thestrangequark February 3 2010 09:37 PM

^Like your son, I was two years old, and watching the launch with my parents. I had a little toy space shuttle to ride in, and was sitting on it. I remember my mother crying. It is one of my earliest memories.

Zion Ravescene February 3 2010 09:46 PM

I was six when I saw it happen. It was the very first time I had experienced the feelings of denial and disbelief. It took me a long time before it could all sink in.

Thanks for sharing that link. It's still chilling to watch.

Lindley February 3 2010 09:48 PM

I have no memory of the event itself. I suppose I was 3 at the time, but I've always just thought of it as yet another historical event.

Franklin February 3 2010 10:00 PM

First, the snarky stuff. "Heh, heh. Betamax. Heh, heh." OK, that's out of the way --

I was in graduate school, in my apartment with the flu. I awoke from a nap and turned on the TV. Still just half awake, there was Dan Rather, talking in a somber voice about the Challenger and its crew. It took me about two minutes to piece togther that he was talking about it having just blown up. Then they showed the footage.
I had to share it with someone, so I called my graduate student office number and told them to get in front of a TV, or turn on NPR, or something, because the Challenger had just exploded shortly after launch. I got dressed and went in, after that. I didn't feel like being alone. It turns out my call is how the entire department heard about the disaster.

Locutus of Bored February 3 2010 10:07 PM

I watched it in sixth grade. The teacher wheeled in the TV for us to watch it, and a lot of the kid's started crying.

Why did this guy keep the video to himself all these years? He acknowledged in the video itself that he had recorded a piece of history. Maybe they would have wanted a copy for the accident investigation and for museums and the media afterward. Not that it would likely provide any further insights, but still, he should have shared it.

Yeoman Randi February 3 2010 10:12 PM

I would have to think that Nasa has a ton of cameras from all angles set up to watch the take-off. This guy's video from how many miles away certainly couldn't tell them anything they wouldn't have gotten off of their own cameras. Don't you think?

SeerSGB February 3 2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Yeoman Randi wrote: (Post 3808741)
I would have to think that Nasa has a ton of cameras from all angles set up to watch the take-off. This guy's video from how many miles away certainly couldn't tell them anything they wouldn't have gotten off of their own cameras. Don't you think?

See something from that distance that they didn't catch on closer cams? Something like this is never hurts to have more information than you need; better to have and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Franklin February 3 2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Yeah. This is hardly like the Zapruder film. He probably sat on it for so long because he realized that himself. It wasn't going to help any investigation to release it.

auntiehill February 3 2010 10:31 PM

I was in high school at the time. They pulled us out of class and took us to the library, and there on the TV, Dan Rather was holding a model of the Space Shuttle. The teachers turned off the TV as soon as we came in and told us what had happened. We went back to class and I sat there, a bit stunned.

It was a very sad, strange day.

Squiggy February 3 2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

No new information will come from this. It's just a new vantage

Locutus of Bored February 3 2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Yes, that's why I said that in my post:

Quote:

Locutus of Bored wrote: (Post 3808721)
Why did this guy keep the video to himself all these years? He acknowledged in the video itself that he had recorded a piece of history. Maybe they would have wanted a copy for the accident investigation and for museums and the media afterward. Not that it would likely provide any further insights, but still, he should have shared it.

RJDiogenes February 4 2010 01:08 AM

"That's trouble of some kind." :(

I was 24 years old, sitting in my office at St. Margaret's when somebody poked her head in the door and said the Space Shuttle exploded. The image that popped into my head was an explosion on the pad. The only access to news I had was the radio in the mail room down the hall; I didn't see any video until I got home. It was heartbreaking. I didn't sleep for several days.

I wonder if he withheld the video because he didn't want any notoriety; maybe he just didn't want to be asked about it or interviewed and so waited until he knew he would be gone.

USS Triumphant February 4 2010 03:37 AM

Quote:

Locutus of Bored wrote: (Post 3808721)
I watched it in sixth grade. The teacher wheeled in the TV for us to watch it, and a lot of the kid's started crying.

This is how I experienced it, too, except I was in 5th grade, and by the end of that same school day, I had already heard the "What does NASA stand for? Need Another Seven Astronauts" thing. I was so sad and PISSED.