The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=113084)

Joe Washington January 22 2010 06:01 AM

Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
I'm been watching episodes of Twin Peaks from the beginning and I'm hooked. The opening credits with its soothing music. The characters and their hidden layers that are exposed one by one with each passing episode. The sense of community in Twin Peaks and the feeling that it can be an actual place you would like to visit. Agent Cooper who's unlike any FBI agent character I've seen on TV. I love it all.

Piper January 22 2010 07:23 AM

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
It's not just you. Twin Peaks is extraordinary, one of the finest TV shows ever made.

At least, it is until, ohhh, the end of Season 2's ninth episode (the 17th in all.) You might want to stop watching at that point...

sidious618 January 22 2010 08:08 AM

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
It's fantastic. It has a down point in the second half of season two but the last four episodes really pick up the plot again and lead to one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen.

Mallet January 22 2010 11:38 AM

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
I agree with all that has been said above.

I would love, love, love, for David Lynch to take one last trip in to the Twin Peaks world before he fully retires, although he might have already. He doesn't seem to be very rushed to work on another film anytime soon. He seems pretty happy teaching meditation, doing wood work and painting. He just turned 64 a couple of days ago but seems in great health and still very energetic (must be all that meditation) so hopefully he will start writing and directing again soon.

CmdrAJD January 22 2010 02:28 PM

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
Quote:

Mallet wrote: (Post 3776653)
I agree with all that has been said above.

I would love, love, love, for David Lynch to take one last trip in to the Twin Peaks world before he fully retires, although he might have already. He doesn't seem to be very rushed to work on another film anytime soon. He seems pretty happy teaching meditation, doing wood work and painting. He just turned 64 a couple of days ago but seems in great health and still very energetic (must be all that meditation) so hopefully he will start writing and directing again soon.

I absolutely agree. I know it's probably been way too long to finish the story, but there's so much that could be done. Or at the very least give him a chance to put together the massive extended edition of Fire Walk With Me that's been rumored for years now.

TheGodBen January 22 2010 03:10 PM

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
I'll join the chorus and say that it is an excellent series up until episode 17 and if they had the sense to end it there it would have been one of the best miniseries of all time. Unfortunately they kept it going and the show lost its way with plots that were in no way as interesting as the original murder story. That being said, the finale is fantastic, it makes absolutely no sense. :techman:

Bob is the creepiest villain I've ever seen, and the scene revealing the truth about Bob is one of the best TV scenes of all time.

23skidoo January 22 2010 03:20 PM

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
Quote:

Joe Washington wrote: (Post 3776253)
I'm been watching episodes of Twin Peaks from the beginning and I'm hooked. The opening credits with its soothing music. The characters and their hidden layers that are exposed one by one with each passing episode. The sense of community in Twin Peaks and the feeling that it can be an actual place you would like to visit. Agent Cooper who's unlike any FBI agent character I've seen on TV. I love it all.

No, it's not just you. Back in 1990-91 Twin Peaks was huge, both in terms of fandom and in terms of the general public. It was the Lost of its day. Or the Heroes of its day might be a better comparison because, like Heroes, it just could not be sustained. Problem was when the second season came along, the network had pretty much forced its influence on the show and Lynch had to do things he didn't want to do (this according to the Gold Box DVD release, anyway). The show remained atmospheric and cool till the end, and there were some fantastic moments. And the ending was eerie. But the ending was also, for its time, the equivalent of, say, the Sopranos' cut to black or The Prisoner's Fall Out. And to this day some fans treat it the same way some Trekkies treat These Are the Voyages.

Lynch later tried to do a prequel movie, Fire Walk with Me, but it was a trainwreck. See if only if you must.

But that first season of Twin Peaks was as close to perfection as network TV got in the 1990s.

Alex

Kirkman1987 January 22 2010 04:52 PM

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
Twin Peaks is one of my favorite series, I have a poster of it on my wall.

I think the series is perfection up until mid season two, when it falls off a cliff. The characters are some of the best ever on television, and the series has a feeling unlike anything else. I agree with what was said earlier, it feels like a real place that you could visit.

It does pick up in the last few episodes, and the final episode or two is as good as the early ones. I like the prequel film, but it doesn't feel like the series, I only suggest it to people who like other Lynch projects.

nevermore January 22 2010 05:04 PM

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
Quote:

Piper wrote: (Post 3776404)
It's not just you. Twin Peaks is extraordinary, one of the finest TV shows ever made.

At least, it is until, ohhh, the end of Season 2's ninth episode (the 17th in all.) You might want to stop watching at that point...

This. I find the second half of S2 to be virtually unwatchable. In fact, I've only re-watched it once when i first got the DVDs; every other time I sit down to watch the series I just lose the will to go on after the Palmer plot is resolved. Blech.

Quote:

TheGodBen wrote: (Post 3776848)
Bob is the creepiest villain I've ever seen, and the scene revealing the truth about Bob is one of the best TV scenes of all time.

Yah, that first reveal of Bob still freaks me the eff out.

Yeoman Randi January 22 2010 05:19 PM

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
OMG YES! The first season was off the wall incredible! The second season had it's ups and downs, but generally it was excellent. Once complaint that i have with the show was that they seemed forced to tie up some loose ends, and those were poorly done. I didn't even necessarily want every loose end tied up! I loved Twin Peaks!

sidious618 January 22 2010 08:29 PM

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
Quote:

nevermore wrote: (Post 3777094)
This. I find the second half of S2 to be virtually unwatchable. In fact, I've only re-watched it once when i first got the DVDs; every other time I sit down to watch the series I just lose the will to go on after the Palmer plot is resolved. Blech.

You don't go and watch the finale?!

Pingfah January 22 2010 09:23 PM

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
^ I have just started rewatching it. I can't even remember whodunnit it was so long ago I watched it, although it may come back to me as I watch it.

But David Lynch seemed to think the finale was strong enough to come back and direct it.

trevanian January 23 2010 04:36 AM

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
If you can get the script for the finale/seasonender, you can see Lynch completely changed/subverted Frost's material.

Just one more contradiction in the multilayered cake of TP, but I love it anyway. Along with THE PRISONER, probably my most rewatched TV series outside of TOS.

Temis the Vorta January 23 2010 05:14 AM

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
I want David Lynch to just flat-out do a science fiction TV series.

Mallet January 23 2010 11:47 AM

Re: Is it me or is there something special about Twin Peaks?
 
Quote:

Temis the Vorta wrote: (Post 3778863)
I want David Lynch to just flat-out do a science fiction TV series.

I don't know if he's really a flat-out sci-fi guy. His "Dune" wasn't very well regarded and I don't think the he was even a big fan of it.

I feel he's definitely more of a "fantasy/mystical" guy. I think he likes the more unusual stuff and the more of stuff where the laws of physics and reality arn't fixed but more fluid. Like with Twin Peaks, Mulholand Drive, Inland Empire, Wild at Heart, etc...

That said if you can ever track down his script for "One saliva bubble" you can see his take on a semi-sci-fi film (never made of course) that follws what happens in a town that has a secret governemtn supercomputer thing in it and how it gets all screwed up when one small bubble causes a computer malfunction that leads to big trouble.

Or his other sci-fi script (also unmade) call "Robbie Rocket Pants" (or something like that) set in a futuristic blade runner/noir type city and the title character (Robbie Rocket Pants) is a robot. Or maybe he's a human that thinks he's a robot. or something. It's been years since I read it. But I remember thinking it would be a good film.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.