The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Netflix and Warner Brothers Reach Deal (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=111852)

Starbreaker January 6 2010 09:30 PM

Netflix and Warner Brothers Reach Deal

Link

Netflix will wait 28 days before offering new releases in exchange for a larger movie selection in instant watch.

Harvey January 6 2010 10:52 PM

Re: Netflix and Warner Brothers Reach Deal

Sounds like a good deal for Netflix, and a good deal for Warner Bros. But this doesn't sound like a good deal for Netflix users. Having to wait a whole month before being able to rent 'new' releases? Well, Blockbuster could always use the extra business.

wamdue January 6 2010 10:55 PM

that sounds like an awful deal, why would people want to wait 28 days for a new release.

RoJoHen January 6 2010 10:59 PM

I can wait 28 days. I have plenty of stuff on my queue to pass the time until then.

Captain Craig January 6 2010 11:25 PM

I agree with RoJo.
28 Days Later is not a problem for me.
If I waited 4-5 months during its theatrical run, which I do on alot of films(ie comedies) then another 28 days to see it is nothing.

RoJoHen January 6 2010 11:41 PM

Plus, I've been using the Instant Streaming on my PS3 a lot lately, so I would gladly take more of that in exchange for a longer wait for DVDs.

nevermore January 6 2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 3728859)
I can wait 28 days. I have plenty of stuff on my queue to pass the time until then.

This. I don't rent a lot of new releases anyway, but I do like the streaming service. Sounds like a great trade-off to me. :bolian:

Arthur Frelling Dent January 6 2010 11:55 PM

Not something that will make me cancel Netflix, but I expect a lot of backlash from customers and for Blockbuster to capitalize on it.

J. Allen January 7 2010 12:52 AM

I can easily wait 28 days. I only order a DVD through the mail every so many months, because many of my favorites are on Netflix streaming. I only have 4 movies in my DVD queue, but have about 300 movies in my streaming queue that I can watch anytime I want. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Nerys Myk January 7 2010 01:52 AM

The brick and morters are hoping this will help them out. A similar deal is supposed to happen with Red Box. Other studios will be doing this too. Heard about a few months ago when I worked in video retail.

God Magnus January 7 2010 02:43 AM

I've got over 300 discs in my queue, and I constantly find stuff to watch on streaming. That's all outside the regular TV I watch, so I won't be affected at all by this. I think it's a win-win if you don't mind the 28 days since increasing their streaming content makes one's membership that much more worth it. :)

Starbreaker January 7 2010 02:52 AM

My queue is maxed out. I'm constantly trying to add stuff too.

Temis the Vorta January 7 2010 05:56 AM

Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 3728839)
Sounds like a good deal for Netflix, and a good deal for Warner Bros. But this doesn't sound like a good deal for Netflix users. Having to wait a whole month before being able to rent 'new' releases? Well, Blockbuster could always use the extra business.

I put movies in the queue when they're in theaters and forget about them. Six months later, they show up in my rental column. If it's seven months, I doubt I'll notice.

Quote:

My queue is maxed out.
My queue is currently 252 titles. It fluctuates but hasn't gone much below 200. If it's perpetually at that level, why would I care when anything arrives? I'll probably DIE with 200 freaking DVDs unwatched. What a depressing thought. :rommie:

Oh no, here's a worse thought. Whenever I die, even if it's 50 years from now, what if there's a Star Trek movie due out in a year or two? What if there's a Star Trek series and I'll miss the end. Now I can't die!

Harvey January 7 2010 06:00 AM

Sure, Temis, but you rent all kinds of films and regularly keep your queue stocked. You are a much different rental user than, say, someone of my parents' generation. And I think there definitely will be a backlash from those kinds of customers.

shivkala January 7 2010 06:03 AM

I wish I had the money to say, "Oh, I have to wait another month to see the movie? Forget that, I'll just buy the DVD." Seeing as how I don't, if I still used Netflix, I'd just wait the 28 days and rent the movie then.