The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Return of Bruce Wayne in April! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=109988)

Admiral_Young December 9 2009 03:07 PM

The Return of Bruce Wayne in April!

DC has announced The Return of Bruce Wayne mini starting in April...written by Grant Morrison alongside 'a host of all star artists' Morrison calls this the 'definitive Batman epic'. Wow there really have been a ton of announcements this week, and we're not done yet. Here's the link with sample art:

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/

Mr Light December 9 2009 03:12 PM

Re: The Return of Bruce Wayne in April!

I've never heard of artist Chris Sprouse before... Why does everything happen in a mini now? Why don't the main events happen in the main book?

Dar70 December 9 2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Mr Light wrote: (Post 3655394)
I've never heard of artist Chris Sprouse before... Why does everything happen in a mini now? Why don't the main events happen in the main book?

Money.

TemporalFlux December 9 2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

I've never heard of artist Chris Sprouse before...

He's been around for a good while now (since at least the mid '90's). He's probably best known for drawing Alan Moore's "Tom Strong" series; but he also drew a good bit of the Legion reboot issues after Zero Hour.

On Bruce returning, I just hope it doesn't mean they're already kicking Dick to the curb. Bruce can come back in a different role than Batman, though; we'll just have to wait and see.

barnaclelapse December 9 2009 03:58 PM

I still want to eventually see Bruce return to being Batman, but I want a hell of a good, long journey getting to that point.

coolghoul December 9 2009 04:25 PM

Bruce is Batman for me.

Tho' it does appear like Batdickery to take it away from Dick yet again...

Allyn Gibson December 9 2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

TemporalFlux wrote: (Post 3655448)
On Bruce returning, I just hope it doesn't mean they're already kicking Dick to the curb. Bruce can come back in a different role than Batman, though; we'll just have to wait and see.

My theory, which I expound upon here, is that Dick will remain Batman, but Bruce will become Robin. It's a logical outgrowth of the events of The Resurrection of Ra's al-Ghul; we know that Damian's body can host the spirit of one of his ancestors. Ra's tried to take Damian's body, but what if Damian willingly gave up his body to "host" the father he idolizes? Morrison said that when his story was all said and done, Bruce Wayne would never be Batman again. If Bruce becomes Damian, then that's absolutely true.

Admiral_Young December 9 2009 04:57 PM

That's an interesting theory...honestly with the Terry McGuiness mini and one shot coming next year I think that they are going to put into motion a variation of the Batman Beyond future. Morrison did say by the time all of this is over that the Batman status quo would be significantly changed. The question I have is though...if Bruce is returning and has been stuck in the timeline then who was that we saw at the end of Blackest Night? Also what is the upcoming Batman and Robin arc "blackest knight" about?

byron lomax December 9 2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've never heard of artist Chris Sprouse before...

He's been around for a good while now (since at least the mid '90's). He's probably best known for drawing Alan Moore's "Tom Strong" series; but he also drew a good bit of the Legion reboot issues after Zero Hour.

I remember Sprouse drew the excellent Two-Face origin story Eye of the Beholder in the early 90s. On evidence of this alone (though it was a long time ago) he can draw an effectively moody Batman.

I must say, I'm looking forward to this. Morrison's run has been a wild ride so far, even if every aspect hasn't worked. Let's see what he's got up his sleeve this time.

drasche December 9 2009 07:48 PM

I don't know why I read "The return of Bruce Willis in April!" :lol:

TemporalFlux December 9 2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 3655525)
My theory, which I expound upon here, is that Dick will remain Batman, but Bruce will become Robin. It's a logical outgrowth of the events of The Resurrection of Ra's al-Ghul; we know that Damian's body can host the spirit of one of his ancestors. Ra's tried to take Damian's body, but what if Damian willingly gave up his body to "host" the father he idolizes? Morrison said that when his story was all said and done, Bruce Wayne would never be Batman again. If Bruce becomes Damian, then that's absolutely true.

That could also explain the mechanics behind the mini-series plot. The story could feature Bruce time traveling within his own blood line...hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home.

JoeZhang December 9 2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dick as Top and Bruce as bottom? that's a change to the existing status quo.

Christopher December 9 2009 10:00 PM

Okay, could you use a less creepy metaphor, please?

JoeZhang December 9 2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 3656398)
Okay, could you use a less creepy metaphor, please?

No it was meant to be creepy.

Corran Horn December 9 2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Morrison said that when his story was all said and done, Bruce Wayne would never be Batman again.

Right up until Bruce Wayne is Batman again.