The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   47 Klingon Ships and Uhura (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=109881)

Admiral_Young December 8 2009 12:14 AM

47 Klingon Ships and Uhura--Nitpicking Time
 
Something has been nagging me since seeing the film...in the scene with Uhura talking to Gaila and Kirk hiding under the bed she mentions she was in the communications room and monitored a battle between 47 Klingon battlecruisers and a Romulan vessel. Now one would think this would merit immediately informing her superiors about a major space battle involving two bordering space powers but instead no one finds out about this until later onboard Enterprise when Kirk brings it up to Pike and Spock and Uhura confirms her discover. One would think that a Cadet would inform their superior officer of such a discover particularly when a single Romulan vessel manages to destroy 47 Klingon ships. No wonder Narada was able to attack Vulcan so easily...no one was informed of it until it was too late.

Jeyl December 8 2009 12:17 AM

Re: 47 Klingon Ships and Uhura
 
Rob and Alex can't write jack for female characters these days. Heck, if you think Uhura is incompetent, just watch how many times she leaves her station just to see Spock off or see him when he arrives. There are no less than three communication related tasks that a Communication's officer would be assigned to do but she doesn't get the assignment.

Her role is entirely useless.

Jeri December 8 2009 12:25 AM

Re: 47 Klingon Ships and Uhura
 
She probably did inform her superiors about the message. But they would have no way to predict what would transpire from it.

The Federation and the Klingons and Romulans were all adversaries at that point, and a battle between the latter two would have no immediate bearing on the Federation. They would be watching the situation, but no one would be able to predict what happened. They don't have channels to find out more, either; at least not for a while.

Admiral_Young December 8 2009 12:26 AM

Re: 47 Klingon Ships and Uhura
 
That's another thing about the movie...the discipline of the officers is atrocious even for Star Trek. Not just Uhura abandoning her post like you mentioned but everyone standing around watching Spock and Kirk fight and not calling security or intervening. Then the obvious Kirk moment of him assuming command...Bones' over dramatic statement of we have no first officer and no god damn captain or however order it went. Um last time I checked Bones you are a Lt. Commander...unless those stripes on your sleeves mean nothing, Sulu is a Lt, Uhura was promoted on the spot and is a Lt she could take command. Instead everyone is waiting around...until Jim sits down and declares himself Captain. Don't get me wrong...I love this movie...there are aspects about it that bother me though.

Also why are the Romulans using alternate timeline pistols and blasters when they should be using their 24th century disrupters? They should have used Prime Trek sound effects, unless of course those weapons were confiscatd by the Klingons when they were boarded and taken to Rura Penthe.

JarodRussell December 8 2009 12:27 AM

Re: 47 Klingon Ships and Uhura
 
Quote:

Jeri wrote: (Post 3650843)
She probably did inform her superiors about the message.

And should get fired for that.

Jeri December 8 2009 12:28 AM

Re: 47 Klingon Ships and Uhura
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 3650851)
Quote:

Jeri wrote: (Post 3650843)
She probably did inform her superiors about the message.

And should get fired for that.

What?

JarodRussell December 8 2009 12:30 AM

Re: 47 Klingon Ships and Uhura
 
Quote:

Jeri wrote: (Post 3650854)
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 3650851)
Quote:

Jeri wrote: (Post 3650843)
She probably did inform her superiors about the message.

And should get fired for that.

What?

Oh, I read "didn't". Whoops.

Tom Servo December 8 2009 12:31 AM

Re: 47 Klingon Ships and Uhura
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 3650851)
Quote:

Jeri wrote: (Post 3650843)
She probably did inform her superiors about the message.

And should get fired for that.

She should get fired for informing her superiors about a major space battle between two powers? (Edit: Ooooops.)

I mean, Galia assumed that Uhura was going to be in the sensor lab all night. Therefore, I assume that once she picked up the message, her superiors came in a took over the lab to analyze the situation, and had all the cadets leave.

Problem solved.

JarodRussell December 8 2009 12:36 AM

Re: 47 Klingon Ships and Uhura
 
Quote:

Tom Servo wrote: (Post 3650865)
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 3650851)
Quote:

Jeri wrote: (Post 3650843)
She probably did inform her superiors about the message.

And should get fired for that.

She should get fired for informing her superiors about a major space battle between two powers? (Edit: Ooooops.)

I mean, Galia assumed that Uhura was going to be in the sensor lab all night. Therefore, I assume that once she picked up the message, her superiors came in a took over the lab to analyze the situation, and had all the cadets leave.

Problem solved.

Apparently, neither the First Officer nor the Commanding Officer of the FLAGSHIP knew about an incident of 1 Romulan ship destroying 47 Klingon ships (that might have been worth an immediate briefing, not?). A cadet who wasn't even supposed to be there had to bring it up and connect the dots, and then Uhura said like "Oh yeah, right, there was this thing yesterday."

And nobody connected the dots between giant ship destroying 47 ships and Vulcan being mysteriously attacked. Today's world works like: "Oh, there has been an accident, it might be a terrorist attack until further evidence suggests otherwise." Future's world would connect a battle in the Neutral Zone to an attack on Vulcan fairly quickly.

Jeri December 8 2009 12:38 AM

Re: 47 Klingon Ships and Uhura
 
No. I don't think they would have briefed them on a battle between Klingons and Romulans yet. It had nothing to do with their Vulcan rescue mission, as far as anybody knew. And their rescue mission was an emergency.

MvRojo December 8 2009 12:41 AM

Re: 47 Klingon Ships and Uhura
 
Quote:

Jeyl wrote: (Post 3650817)
Rob and Alex can't write jack for female characters these days. Heck, if you think Uhura is incompetent, just watch how many times she leaves her station just to see Spock off or see him when he arrives. There are no less than three communication related tasks that a Communication's officer would be assigned to do but she doesn't get the assignment.

Her role is entirely useless.

Hahaha. So true. It actually got annoying how she was following Spock around so much.

But with regards to the point of this thread, she probably did inform her superior in Communications on Earth, but that doesn't mean it made it up the chain of command to Pike, especially since this all happened in a day.

JarodRussell December 8 2009 12:43 AM

Re: 47 Klingon Ships and Uhura
 
Quote:

Jeri wrote: (Post 3650887)
No. I don't think they would have briefed them on a battle between Klingons and Romulans yet. It had nothing to do with their Vulcan rescue mission, as far as anybody knew. And their rescue mission was an emergency.

They weren't briefed on a battle that took place like 1 or 2 days before, of a battle of 1 Romulan ship against 47 Klingon ships, IN the Neutral Zone, but were immediately briefed on some earthquakes on Vulcan?

I can't agree with that logic.


I also wonder why no one at Starfleet realized that this huge ass ship that just pulverized a whole Klingon fleet entered Federation core space. Apparently, it was sitting somewhere in the Vulcan solar system waiting for the White Hole to open up. And nobody noticed it sitting there, let alone entering Federation space?

But it rationalizes Kirk's rapid promotion, when the rest of Starfleet is depicted as a bunch of totally incompetent twats, he must have been the only one left to command the flagship. Problem is he also won't be briefed about important stuff anymore, and he won't be hiding under Uhura's bed anymore.

Chindogu December 8 2009 12:45 AM

Re: 47 Klingon Ships and Uhura--Nitpicking Time
 
Quote:

Admiral_Young wrote: (Post 3650796)
Something has been nagging me since seeing the film...in the scene with Uhura talking to Gaila and Kirk hiding under the bed she mentions she was in the communications room and monitored a battle between 47 Klingon battlecruisers and a Romulan vessel. Now one would think this would merit immediately informing her superiors about a major space battle involving two bordering space powers but instead no one finds out about this until later onboard Enterprise when Kirk brings it up to Pike and Spock and Uhura confirms her discover. One would think that a Cadet would inform their superior officer of such a discover particularly when a single Romulan vessel manages to destroy 47 Klingon ships. No wonder Narada was able to attack Vulcan so easily...no one was informed of it until it was too late.


She did inform her superiors, which is why she got off duty early. She discovered the message, translated it, reported it, and then was sent home so someone with higher clearance could continue to monitor the situation. This was implied very subtly to me anyway.

And then later, on the Enterprise, when this information comes out on the bridge Pike was surprised that a Cadet knew this information and asks "how do you know this?" Not "what happened? When was this?". He obviously knew about it, being Captain of the Flag Ship.

The one who is to blame, for not putting two and two together, is Pike. He wrote his dissertation on the Kelvin and the whole "lightning storm in space" thing doesn't ring any bells for him? And knowing about this Klingon fleet being destroyed by a lone Romulan vessel doesn't make him wonder if this could all be related?

No wonder they took the Enterprise away from him and gave it to Kirk! :guffaw:

Love this movie, going to go home and watch it again.

Jeri December 8 2009 12:45 AM

Re: 47 Klingon Ships and Uhura
 
Uhura is not the only communications officer; when Spock tells them to order a planetwide evacuation before exiting, the other officer there does it. And I don't think Uhura would be following him were the situation not unique. She's his friend if nothing else; and he obviously needs her at those couple of moments.

MvRojo December 8 2009 12:46 AM

Re: 47 Klingon Ships and Uhura
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 3650913)
Quote:

Jeri wrote: (Post 3650887)
No. I don't think they would have briefed them on a battle between Klingons and Romulans yet. It had nothing to do with their Vulcan rescue mission, as far as anybody knew. And their rescue mission was an emergency.

They weren't briefed on a battle that took place like 1 or 2 days before, of a battle of 1 Romulan ship against 47 Klingon ships, IN the Neutral Zone, but were immediately briefed on some earthquakes on Vulcan?

I can't agree with that logic.

Well, they monitored transmissions regarding a battle, versus receiving a distress call from a Federation member. It'd be like an India-Pakistan conflict versus Canada specifically requesting immediate assistance.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.