The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=109843)

Admiral_Young December 7 2009 03:58 PM

DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
Well Geoff Johns's next project was announced this morning and boy it's a doozy...some people might not be as high on this as I am but I'm already pysched for it. Here's the AICN exclusive on the project:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43302

This seems to be an Ultimate DC project to me..without calling it Ultimates much like All Star was considered to be that. They're both going to be graphic novel formats!

Christopher December 7 2009 04:11 PM

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
Quote:

JMS wrote:
(True story: I was at Chicago Comic-Con a number of years ago, standing in the dealer's room, when some guy grabbed a bunch of expensive items off a table and made a run for it down the aisle, being chased by the owner of the table. Everybody in the aisle did a fast fade, parting before this guy like the Red Sea. I brought the mofo down and the two of us held him for the police. The con organizer later came up to me and said, "Why'd you do that? He was half your age and twice as big, you could've been hurt." I pointed to where I'd been standing, in front of a ten-foot-tall cutout of Superman. "How could I stand under that, in front of him, and do nothing?" I said.)

Lovely.

Quote:

Having worked as a journalist for nearly ten years, I know what a news room is supposed to feel like, and my one ongoing complaint about comics set in those environments is that you (or I) could tell that the writers had never actually worked for a newspaper.
I'm interested to see what he'll bring to the depiction of the Daily Planet.

Admiral_Young December 7 2009 04:16 PM

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
Yeah...Shane Davis is doing the art on Superman Earth One, not really that familiar with him but the Superman sample used looked okay. The Alfred pic is very interesting...it reminds me of the Russian from Ex Machina who helps Mitchell Hundred actually, "Kremlin". I wonder if Geoff's been hanging out with Brian K. Vaghaun lately lol. Both these projects are now high on my interest level, I wonder when they'll be coming out? This is just a guess on my part but I think they could be released after next summer's Superman event. I hope we don't have to wait that long myself.

Misfit Toy December 7 2009 04:36 PM

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 3649197)

I'm interested to see what he'll bring to the depiction of the Daily Planet.

"Clark Kent - mild mannered blogger for a great metropolitan media conglomerate..."

Broccoli December 7 2009 04:45 PM

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
This seems...odd. Isn't DC producing a Superman origin story right now? And they are going to do it again next year? I realize one will be in continuity and another not, but it doesn't seem like Superman-Earth One is going to be too radically different from the mainstream title. It seems like a strange move, especially since this doesn't seem to be going to series the way the Ultimate titles did.

EDIT: I re-read the article and I saw the note that they are planning to release two graphic novels a year, so it is going to series in a sense. Still, seems odd timing to me somehow. :shrug:

Quote:

JSM wrote:
(True story: I was at Chicago Comic-Con a number of years ago, standing in the dealer's room, when some guy grabbed a bunch of expensive items off a table and made a run for it down the aisle, being chased by the owner of the table. Everybody in the aisle did a fast fade, parting before this guy like the Red Sea. I brought the mofo down and the two of us held him for the police. The con organizer later came up to me and said, "Why'd you do that? He was half your age and twice as big, you could've been hurt." I pointed to where I'd been standing, in front of a ten-foot-tall cutout of Superman. "How could I stand under that, in front of him, and do nothing?" I said.)
I remember that! I was turning around a corner when I saw him tackle the guy. I had no idea what was going on until a dealer told me later. The dealer said it was JSM and I didn't buy it until I looked in the program book and saw his picture.

Quote:

JSM wrote:
If there's anything that is signified by trade-waiting, it's that we need to write better stories.
I'd say it is more the price. 3 or 4 dollars for a 22-30 page comic is way, way too much.

coolghoul December 7 2009 04:52 PM

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
Quote:

Admiral_Young wrote: (Post 3649170)
Well Geoff Johns's next project was announced this morning and boy it's a doozy...some people might not be as high on this as I am but I'm already pysched for it. Here's the AICN exclusive on the project:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43302

This seems to be an Ultimate DC project to me..without calling it Ultimates much like All Star was considered to be that. They're both going to be graphic novel formats!

The link is not working for me currently. Maybe the fans crashed the server. :)

Neat Avatar, Admiral Young! Where's it from?

And Christopher - that story sounds very similar to the Spider-Man story too.

barnaclelapse December 7 2009 04:54 PM

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
This actually sounds pretty interesting to me, and I've honestly been a big Superman fan (Batman has always and will likely always be more my speed).

Bad Bishop December 7 2009 06:19 PM

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
The article at Newsarama said that these would be more "accessible" versions of Batman and Superman. But DC's choice of the pricey graphic novel format might make them less accessible (in another way).

Admiral_Young December 7 2009 06:38 PM

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
My avatar is Gary Frank's art on Batman Earth One. It's in the AICN and Newsarama articles. I thought it was a bit strange regarding the Superman title since Geoff is in the midst of revamping Clark's origin in Superman Secret Origin. Also the Batman design along with Bruce Wayne reminds me of the art from the Wizard Magazine Ultimate DC article which I think was done by Jaxhill Studios (I might have fucked up the name). The notion that these are going to be in graphic novel format has be hooked as I no longer buy single issue comics, can't afford them. I just wait for the trades. I'd love to get secret files and origins for both these books.

Christopher December 7 2009 06:42 PM

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
I'm confused by the "Earth One" subtitle. I thought "Earth One" was the term for the main DC Universe as opposed to the various alternates. So why use the title to refer to yet another alternate reality?

Admiral_Young December 7 2009 06:45 PM

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
Yeah I don't get the Earth One subtitle...

TheBrew December 7 2009 07:11 PM

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
That fact that it is trade only has piqued my interest. I'll check it out.

Hartzilla2007 December 7 2009 07:26 PM

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 3649649)
I'm confused by the "Earth One" subtitle. I thought "Earth One" was the term for the main DC Universe as opposed to the various alternates. So why use the title to refer to yet another alternate reality?

Quote:

Admiral_Young wrote: (Post 3649660)
Yeah I don't get the Earth One subtitle...

Actually Infinite Crisis established that the main DC Universe is New Earth, so Earth One is up for grabs.

Mike Farley December 7 2009 07:29 PM

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
The current DCU Earth is dubbed "New Earth." It is composed of the original Earths 1,2,4,S, and X and apparently the Milestone Universe has been folded in as well. It was created in it's current state during INFINITE CRISIS.

The multiverse was reborn during 52, but I don't believe we've seen the "New" Earth 1 yet.

Christopher December 7 2009 08:03 PM

Re: DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!
 
Still, given the long-established history of that designation, it seems odd to repurpose it like that.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.