The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Uniform colours- is there a system? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=108723)

LilyB November 21 2009 12:13 PM

Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
This may seem silly to some, but I am wondering how/if the colours of the uniforms mean anything? The ensen wears red/black the same colour as the Captain, others wear blue/black, others yellow/black?
Thankyou!

FinalFrontier November 21 2009 12:28 PM

Re: Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
Basically:

Red is the command track. That is what you wear if you are in command or you don't hold a position with any of the science or engineering teams, or you aren't on security.

Blue is medical and sciences. The doctors and other scientists wear blue.

Gold is security and engineering. All the engineers and everyone assigned to security wear gold.

Holdfast November 21 2009 03:42 PM

Re: Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
^ What he said.

It sounds like you're fairly new to Star Trek; if you watch the original series at some point as well as TNG, you'll note the command and engineering colours are swapped round between the two series. Rumour has it that the reason is that Data's makeup tested better with yellow than red, so they switched the colours around. Not sure if that's true or just something I heard once.

Lazarus November 21 2009 04:38 PM

Re: Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
Quote:

FinalFrontier wrote: (Post 3604081)
Basically:

Red is the command track. That is what you wear if you are in command or you don't hold a position with any of the science or engineering teams, or you aren't on security.

Blue is medical and sciences. The doctors and other scientists wear blue.

Gold is security and engineering. All the engineers and everyone assigned to security wear gold.

Security and engineering are generally grouped together as 'operations', presumably ship-related duties like engineering and security (as you've mentioned).

Medical and science are also usually grouped together as simply 'sciences', medicine, astronomy, geology, all that stuff under the one umbrella.

RED
Command

GOLD
Operations

BLUE
Sciences

iguana_tonante November 21 2009 04:52 PM

Re: Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
Command colors (gold for Classic, red from TNG onward) include also Helm and Navigation, Strategic Operation (Worf on DS9).

(just because I'm compulsive enought to point out)

LilyB November 21 2009 11:58 PM

Re: Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
Oh thanku, that makes perfect sense now!! Yes, I am fairly new to star trek! I watched it a bit as a kid, but i was really more into girly stuff, so it didn't grab me at all. I have tried to watch dvd of Deep space 9, the series, but after a few episodes, i couldn't stand it!! Personally speaking, it seemed that the characters were nowhere near as moral/ ethical/deep rooted in integrity etc as TNG. It seemed more like a soap opera set in space, where as I feel like i have actually grown as a person with TNG, have laughed out loud & cried also!

MikeS November 22 2009 11:35 AM

Re: Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
Quote:

LilyB wrote: (Post 3605361)
grab me at all. I have tried to watch dvd of Deep space 9, the series, but after a few episodes, i couldn't stand it!!

I felt like that on first viewings of DS9, but it really does get better by its third season. I'm glad I stuck with it. It is now difficult for me to decide which series is my favourite - DS9 or TNG.

nx1701g November 22 2009 02:52 PM

Re: Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
^ What he said. In all honesty I do believe DS9 is my favorite and it just narrowly beats TNG.

I also had trouble getting into DS9 when I first saw it.

BolianAuthor November 22 2009 06:23 PM

Re: Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
To be fair, the red division could also encompass some form of OPS, at least in a maybe administrative capacity, because we have on a few instances, seen a red uniform at the OPS station, as a temp officer, and we also have seen many a redshirted Ensign in the background, carrying PADDs to and from various places, so maybe they're like the "interns" of the Command division, carrying out the less-glamorous administrative duties?

Wingsley November 22 2009 06:41 PM

Re: Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
As I recall, the "red" color signifying command division was actually "wine".

USS Excelsior November 22 2009 07:26 PM

Re: Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
They could have had additional colours to be more specific, like a different colour for Medical and Operations and Security.

Not seen on-screen are additional colours like green for Starfleet Marines, and white for Starfleet Intelligence.

CoveSanta November 22 2009 07:30 PM

Re: Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
Also keep in mind that the absolutes regarding uniform colors are not really absolutes but "most of the times." If they were on a tight deadline or budget, they may have thrown an actor into whatever they had available, but normally they were consistent.

Also, sometimes in the context of the story a character will change position without necessarily changing uniforms, but sometimes they do. For example, when Data was moved to first officer under Captain Jellico in "Chain of Command," he switched to the red/maroon uniform. But when he was placed in command of the Excalibur in "Redemption," he stays in gold.

The Grim Ghost November 22 2009 08:54 PM

Re: Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
Quote:

LilyB wrote: (Post 3605361)
Oh thanku, that makes perfect sense now!! Yes, I am fairly new to star trek! I watched it a bit as a kid, but i was really more into girly stuff, so it didn't grab me at all. I have tried to watch dvd of Deep space 9, the series, but after a few episodes, i couldn't stand it!! Personally speaking, it seemed that the characters were nowhere near as moral/ ethical/deep rooted in integrity etc as TNG. It seemed more like a soap opera set in space, where as I feel like i have actually grown as a person with TNG, have laughed out loud & cried also!

Well you should be able to enjoy at least the 1st 2 seasons of DS9, they are more similar in tone to TNG than the rest of the series. But I would give the entire series a chance someday. Once I felt similar to you and I converted to the way of the Sisko!

Red Ranger November 23 2009 06:17 AM

Re: Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
LilyB: Welcome to our weird corner of the 'Net. If you have time, in each forum, there's a sticky for each series with commonly asked questions and their answers. Check that out, and enjoy! -- RR

Admiral Shran November 23 2009 07:02 AM

Re: Uniform colours- is there a system?
 
Quote:

Holdfast wrote: (Post 3604266)
^ What he said.

It sounds like you're fairly new to Star Trek; if you watch the original series at some point as well as TNG, you'll note the command and engineering colours are swapped round between the two series. Rumour has it that the reason is that Data's makeup tested better with yellow than red, so they switched the colours around. Not sure if that's true or just something I heard once.

If that is true, I have disagree with the producers. I always thought Data looked better in the red uniform. Maybe it's just that I'm so used to seeing him in the gold that the change is nice.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.