The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Beverley & Dianas clothes... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=108721)

LilyB November 21 2009 12:09 PM

Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
This may seem silly to some, but I am wondering how it could be that all the guys on duty uniforms are quite strict, but Diana's & Beverley's are not, although as time goes on, Diana's on duty clothes are more often than not, uniform?

Thankyou!

Holdfast November 21 2009 03:46 PM

Re: Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
Real World Reason - they wanted to show off Marina Sirtis' figure so put her in costumes that accentuated her assets.

In Story Reason - Deanna had more leeway in terms of uniform due to Picard granting this to allow her to appear more informal in counselling situations. This leeway was temporarily revoked in a later episode (not saying more in case you haven't watched the entire series yet), but by the end of the series Deanna wore the standard uniform most of the time by choice anyway.

Beverly generally wears a standard uniform when on duty throughout the series though, I think.

Forbin November 21 2009 03:52 PM

Re: Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
Diana?

Deanna.

Bev wore standard duty uniform throughout the series, but she often added a doctor's lab coat over it. 'Cause she's the doctor.

Atariboy November 21 2009 04:29 PM

Re: Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
Which is a shame, 'cause the doctor was smokin'.

It's funny that they eventually go out of their way to create hot, yet facile, characters with the sole intention of dressing them in as little as possible... but hide a realistic character who happens to be hot in a lab coat.

Yeoman Randi November 21 2009 10:17 PM

Re: Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
Quote:

Forbin wrote: (Post 3604290)
Diana?

Deanna.

Bev wore standard duty uniform throughout the series, but she often added a doctor's lab coat over it. 'Cause she's the doctor.


She also wore it for a time to disguise her real life pregnancy.

LilyB November 21 2009 11:52 PM

Re: Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
Thankyou for the answers!
I have just rented the entire TNG over the last month or so, however, about 12 episodes would not play, as i have a 'sensitive' laptop!
I remember an Admiral telling Deanna to wear formal uniform on the bridge & she seemed to, from then on, wear her uniform most of the time.
Thanks again :-)

TheLonelySquire November 22 2009 01:44 AM

Re: Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
Quote:

LilyB wrote: (Post 3605338)
Thankyou for the answers!
I have just rented the entire TNG over the last month or so, however, about 12 episodes would not play, as i have a 'sensitive' laptop!
I remember an Admiral telling Deanna to wear formal uniform on the bridge & she seemed to, from then on, wear her uniform most of the time.
Thanks again :-)

I believe that was Captain Edward Jellico in Chain of Command. Great actor. Lousy Captain! Was a real pain in the neck in Total Recall as well....

Klaitu November 22 2009 02:55 AM

Re: Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
Crusher got that space doctor's coat that they could never decide if the communicator should be stuck on that, or on her uniform, or on both. Both Pulaski and Crusher got space surgery scrubs, too.

Malleus November 22 2009 08:53 AM

Re: Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
Quote:

Holdfast wrote: (Post 3604272)
Real World Reason - they wanted to show off Marina Sirtis' figure so put her in costumes that accentuated her assets.

That's the weird thing. Honestly, I think they failed at this. I mean, Marina's "assets" looked bigger in 2002 when she was on the red carpet for Nemesis than they ever were in the series.

Holdfast November 22 2009 02:10 PM

Re: Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
Quote:

Malleus wrote: (Post 3606437)
Quote:

Holdfast wrote: (Post 3604272)
Real World Reason - they wanted to show off Marina Sirtis' figure so put her in costumes that accentuated her assets.

That's the weird thing. Honestly, I think they failed at this. I mean, Marina's "assets" looked bigger in 2002 when she was on the red carpet for Nemesis than they ever were in the series.

I tend to agree, actually. The space fashions they used for Troi's dresses in early TNG weren't always flattering to her proportions in my opinion. Still, it's pretty obvious that the costumes were intended to up the eye candy quotient.

Emnabtond November 22 2009 06:03 PM

Re: Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
McFadden had an amazing body, its a pity they did hide it with a labcoat so often.

BolianAuthor November 22 2009 06:16 PM

Re: Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
Quote:

Emnabtond wrote: (Post 3607099)
McFadden had an amazing body, its a pity they did hide it with a labcoat so often.

Aye, Gates is perfection times a hundred. But because she's so hot, she ALWAYS looked great. As for an in-universe explanation, I'd assume a potential "counseling" patient would feel more comfortable spilling their guts to someone in a more casual dress, than a full Starfleet uniform. IDK if that makes sense, it's just something I thought about.

Actually, Troi had it more awkward than Crusher, because since she's an empath, she could no doubt tell when someone was um... "distracted" by her look, during a counseling session. I'd think that would make things awkward.

Jellico was a Godsend, for putting Troi in a standard uniform. I agreed with him wholeheartedly. He was a badass Captain.

CommanderRaytas November 22 2009 08:54 PM

Re: Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
Quote:

Yeoman Randi wrote: (Post 3605088)
Quote:

Forbin wrote: (Post 3604290)
Diana?

Deanna.

Bev wore standard duty uniform throughout the series, but she often added a doctor's lab coat over it. 'Cause she's the doctor.


She also wore it for a time to disguise her real life pregnancy.

See, I did not know that. I'll have to pay attention. What season was that?

The Castellan November 23 2009 02:04 AM

Re: Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
Quote:

Jellico was a Godsend, for putting Troi in a standard uniform. I agreed with him wholeheartedly. He was a badass Captain.
I say BOOO! to Jellico. :klingon: I hope someone slipped him some a triple dose of laxative in his coffee for that. :evil:

Bacl November 23 2009 02:17 AM

Re: Beverley & Dianas clothes...
 
Troi was also barely Starfleet. Her training was primarily in psychology, therapy, diplomacy, etc. She didn't just enroll in Starfleet like everyone else and end up a ship's counselor; quite the opposite in fact. She went into psychology, and that took her to working for Starfleet.

In 'Disaster' O'brien has to remind Ro that Troi actually has rank, and Troi herself seems not used to dealing with people as an officer. She was practically a civilian, and thus she didn't have to dress the part as long as her Captain didn't object.

After Jellico forced her to wear a standard uniform, Troi started wanting to be more of an officer than a diplomat/counselor. She took the command test not long after, and showed more inititive and involvement as a result (grabbing the helm in Generations would be unheard of a few years back).

I always thought Troi was smoking hot, her aquamarine uniform being the absolute apotheosis of sexy until Jadzia showed up. I liked Crusher's lab coat, I think it was Starfleet's way to compensate for lack of pockets for someone like a physician who might need half a dozen gadgets on hand to do her job.

And I am shocked and appalled there is no war of pics of these ladies at their sexiest! For shame!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.