The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Second time for "Serenity"... and ran right into the huge plot hole (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=107627)

Gaith November 7 2009 07:30 AM

Second time for "Serenity"... and ran right into the huge plot hole

As previously reported, I enjoyed "Serenity" (the pilot) but didn't care for the next few eps... so, I jumped ahead to Serenity the movie, which I'd seen a few years ago; I figured that since my favorite aspects of the pilot were Mal and the Tams, that was my best bet.

I enjoyed parts of Serenity quite a bit, but was overall frustrated, because the Reavers - the whole plot's raison d'Ítre - make no sense whatsoever. If they're rage-filled crazies who are always super-aggressive, as the movie pretty clearly states, than how can they pilot and maintain their ships? Particularly since the show and movie are always stressing Serenity the ship's fragility, the Reavers' spacefaring capabilities should be impossible.

It didn't have to be that way. For all we know from "Serenity" (the pilot) and their attack on the moon in the movie's first half, Reavers are just normal guys who take stim-packs or chug Romulan ale before going into battle. But, in order to make a fairly banal statement about human nature (breaking news: doping the bejeezus out of people infringes upon their humanity!), Whedon absolutely shredded the already tenuous credibility of his 'verse according to his own rules.

That he was apparently planning this plot revelation years before the movie is worrisome. In any case, I think I'll stick with "Serenity" the pilot when it comes to this series in the future.

Lindley November 7 2009 07:42 AM

Re: Second time for "Serenity"... and ran right into the huge plot hol

Well, they're clearly not aggressive to each other, at least not to the same extent. Once you accept that they're capable of hunting in packs, other forms of cooperation such as ship operation enter the realm of possibility.

It's a bit of a rationalization, but not enough to detract from my enjoyment of the film.

Australis November 7 2009 11:25 AM

The thing that derails that film for me was the whole inner/outer planets thing.

Too many planets orbiting one sun.

Way too many outside the Goldilocks Zone. All they had to say was inner planetary systems, outer planetary systems, and it would have been fine.

FPAlpha November 7 2009 12:58 PM

I'd imagine they are like Klingons on steroids but with a strong leader they can almost function like a society.

So every Reaver captain has to constantly keep his crew under control and pressure so they don't tear themselves apart during space travel but when they arrive at their destination all bets are off.

Scout101 November 7 2009 02:52 PM

if the Pax drove their agressor instincts off the scale, though, I don't see how they'd be controlling WHO they attack. Not like they are zombies that need non-infected brains, they're just people driven insane with agression/rage. They'd have torn themselves apart LONG before they managed to control themselves long enough to reach space.

And even working together, once a battle started, the blood rage would have them just as likely to attack each other as the good guys...

Mark_Nguyen November 7 2009 03:17 PM

The Firefly "'verse" never made sense to me either. Whedon admitted he never put too much thought into it, aside from just having one system with as many planets and moons as he needed to make his stories.

Fans have posited that the 'verse is actually a quinary system with FIVE stars to worry about:

http://www.fireflyshipworks.com/wp-c...e-frontbig.jpg

I still wouldn't buy it as a viable place, but hey - in 2003 we only knew of a handful of planets period, and now we have hundreds with literally millions more out there. What the hell, it's good sci-fi. :)

Mark

Forbin November 7 2009 04:11 PM

Joss freely admits he has no grasp of real science. But his stories are about people, and the firefly verse is just a framework to let him tell his stories about the people.

RoJoHen November 7 2009 05:47 PM

I suppose its possible that a bunch of them DID go nuts and kill each other, but some of them managed to steal ships and escape the planet. Maybe, once off the planet's surface when they were no longer being exposed to the PAX, they were able to sort things out.

Mytran November 7 2009 05:54 PM

Wasn't there supposed to have been a massive amount of terraforming gone on in the system? That would certainly explain all the viable planets and moons

Brent November 7 2009 05:56 PM

Didn't they terraform planets and moons anyway

RoJoHen November 7 2009 05:58 PM

Yeah, but the opening scene describes "dozens of planets, hundreds of moons." Seems like way too big a number.

Although, maybe the definition of "planet" and "moon" have changed. Remember when Pluto was a planet just a few years ago?

Ethros November 7 2009 06:05 PM

The explanation of "dozens of planets, hundreds of moons" work just fine for me. It's not a documentary

RoJoHen November 7 2009 06:07 PM

It doesn't bother me either. But I know it does bother some people.

Brent November 7 2009 06:07 PM

I can believe that in our entire universe of possibilities out there, there might be systems like these

bigdaddy November 7 2009 06:11 PM

That is your huge plot hole?

How about the fact they were supposed to be doing very poorly and still got money for a hover car?