The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   What did you like about Nemesis? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=107369)

J. Allen November 4 2009 04:08 AM

What did you like about Nemesis?
 
I'm just sitting here watching the Blu-ray of Nemesis (the TNG BLu-Ray movie pack), and you know what? I'm starting to get used to it. I mean, there are things in this movie that drive me up the wall, but there are moments where the movie really shines.

* I love the Riker/Troi wedding party. Even when I first saw the movie I said to myself "It's about time!".

* Tom Hardy as Shinzon - You know, I don't think the guy gets enough credit. Sure his motivation was a bit, well, confusing, but I think he played the part very well.

* The special effects in this movie were extremely well done. To me, it's one of the best things about the movie.

* Commander Donatra. ..okay, well I have this thing for Romulan women. :P

* The opening sequence. I loved the feel of the opening sequence. To me it's the best opening sequence since Star Trek VI (but not as good as TFF's).

So, what did you like about the movie (and I will say this right now, please, no "the credits rolling" or anything similar as answers).

J.

The Wormhole November 4 2009 04:16 AM

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?
 
You know, I like Nemesis. Yes, it has plot problems and loopy logic, but if you ignore all that, it's actually an enjoyable movie. And it has some pretty kick-ass music.

The Remans were an interesting concept, and I wish they were given more development. The Valdore-type Romulan Warbirds were pretty cool looking too.

Really, I don't get why everyone is so hard on it. I thought it was ten times better than Insurrection and a hundred times better than most movies that make #1 at the weekend box office.

J. Allen November 4 2009 04:18 AM

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?
 
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 3547777)
You know, I like Nemesis. Yes, it has plot problems and loopy logic, but if you ignore all that, it's actually an enjoyable movie. And it has some pretty kick-ass music.

The Remans were an interesting concept, and I wish they were given more development. The Valdore-type Romulan Warbirds were pretty cool looking too.

Really, I don't get why everyone is so hard on it. I thought it was ten times better than Insurrection and a hundred times better than most movies that make #1 at the weekend box office.

Well, to be fair, we're rather spoiled as Trek fans. We've had a glut of Trek movies, series, books, magazines, toys, props, and so on, and I think we got to the point where we were super picky. Now that's not to say Nemesis doesn't have it's faults, it does and plenty of them, but when I watch it now it's not so bad. The incredible beauty of Blu-ray helps, I might add. Visually, the movie is stunning.

J.

Newspaper Taxi November 4 2009 04:20 AM

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?
 
* The scene where the view screen is destroyed and Picard and company can see Shinzon's ship through the hole in their hull. They conveyed a real sense of danger to me that Star Trek rarely did.

*The concept of the Remans. The Romulans have a secret off-shoot race they keep as slaves -- or just a slave species, in general. Since the Romulans are known for their secrecy it actually makese sense that this would be a little known fact in the Trek universe.

*Riker's words at Data's funeral. I realized that I couldn't remember the song he had been whistling, either, and it made me feel horrible.

RyanKCR November 4 2009 04:20 AM

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?
 
1. Finally a well thought out TNG starship battle that wasn't over in 10 seconds.
2. Finally bringing the Romulans into the movies.
3. The mirror/nature vs nurture concept.
4. Even though the science of it went right out the window I did like the ramming and pulling apart of the ships.
5. How the end of the movie echoed the end of Balance of Terror.

The Wormhole November 4 2009 04:21 AM

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?
 
Also, I remember when Nemesis was first released in theatres. Enterprise was on TV disappointing the fuck out of me. I saw Nemesis and was relieved "finally Star Trek of quality again."

True story.

The Wormhole November 4 2009 04:23 AM

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?
 
Quote:

Newspaper Taxi wrote: (Post 3547794)
*Riker's words at Data's funeral. I realized that I couldn't remember the song he had been whistling, either, and it made me feel horrible.

Someone in my theatre actually began whistling Pop Goes the Weasel during that scene.

J. Allen November 4 2009 04:24 AM

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?
 
Quote:

Newspaper Taxi wrote: (Post 3547794)
* The scene where the view screen is destroyed and Picard and company can see Shinzon's ship through the hole in their hull. They conveyed a real sense of danger to me that Star Trek rarely did.

*The concept of the Remans. The Romulans have a secret off-shoot race they keep as slaves -- or just a slave species, in general. Since the Romulans are known for their secrecy it actually makese sense that this would be a little known fact in the Trek universe.

*Riker's words at Data's funeral. I realized that I couldn't remember the song he had been whistling, either, and it made me feel horrible.

An interesting (to me anyway) note about that: When I was in the theater, the few Trek fans that were in there said it at the same time Riker asked whether anyone remembered. We all whispered "Pop Goes the Weasel" which was a cool feeling, I might add, but for me, the neat part was hearing my friend (who normally talks about Star Trek being boring and scoffs playfully at my enjoyment of it) whisper oh so quietly "Pop goes the Weasel" when we did. I never told him I heard him say it, but it was neat to know that there was a secret Trek fan in our midst. :D

Quote:

RyanKCR wrote: (Post 3547795)
1. Finally a well thought out TNG starship battle that wasn't over in 10 seconds.
2. Finally bringing the Romulans into the movies.
3. The mirror/nature vs nurture concept.
4. Even though the science of it went right out the window I did like the ramming and pulling apart of the ships.
5. How the end of the movie echoed the end of Balance of Terror.

I agree with this. We actually got to see a starship battle involving real capital ships and not just kitbashes.

J.

number6 November 4 2009 04:36 AM

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?
 
I liked the opening scene with the assasination of the Romulan Senate..

I liked the concept of the Remans..a long overlooked throwback to TOS.

I liked Shinzon, for the most part.

The film had some moments.

GhostFaceSaint November 4 2009 06:30 AM

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?
 
I am also a fan of Nemesis, I have no problems with it, the performances were great, the special effects worked well, the story worked for me. It was a fun film.

J. Allen November 4 2009 06:44 AM

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?
 
I was watching the deleted scenes on the Blu-ray disc, and I wish there were two scenes they would have kept:

1) The Chateau Picard 2267 scene
2) The Geordi & Worf cleaning out Data's quarters scene.

To me, that would have very nicely rounded things out.

J.

Myasishchev November 4 2009 07:39 AM

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?
 
To echo others, the space battle and the music.

It disappointed me in that it did have the components to be great, but was assembled all wrong. :(

Something else I liked: it's better than Insurrection. (For that matter, it's better than First Contact.)

D Man November 4 2009 09:36 AM

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?
 
The music was great, the effects were great, and the story was ALMOST there. Just a few story tweaks (ok, maybe more than a few...;)) and probably a better director could have made it a wonderful film. I really enjoy Picard's frozen stare after Shinzon pulls himself close, impaling himself in the process. I remember a lot of people thought that was out of character for Our Captain, but I thought it was really effective; the man just watched HIMSELF (a younger, evil version, sure, but he was still basically looking into a mirror) die right in front of him. That would be pretty harrowing, I think. And finally, the quiet memorial for Data near the end is very nice, and understated in a way that I think just works. I certainly remember whispering "Pop Goes the Weasel." Nemesis to me is a lot like TNG season 7, in that it's not really as good as what came before, but I still like it more than most people seem to and it remains a mostly well-done adventure starring my favorite Trek crew.

J. Allen November 4 2009 09:42 AM

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?
 
Quote:

Myasishchev wrote: (Post 3548280)
To echo others, the space battle and the music.

It disappointed me in that it did have the components to be great, but was assembled all wrong. :(

Something else I liked: it's better than Insurrection. (For that matter, it's better than First Contact.)

Yeah, that might just be how I feel about it. It feels like it's not quite in sorts, but that all the good stuff is there.

Quote:

D Man wrote: (Post 3548406)
The music was great, the effects were great, and the story was ALMOST there. Just a few story tweaks (ok, maybe more than a few...;)) and probably a better director could have made it a wonderful film. I really enjoy Picard's frozen stare after Shinzon pulls himself close, impaling himself in the process. I remember a lot of people thought that was out of character for Our Captain, but I thought it was really effective; the man just watched HIMSELF (a younger, evil version, sure, but he was still basically looking into a mirror) die right in front of him. That would be pretty harrowing, I think. And finally, the quiet memorial for Data near the end is very nice, and understated in a way that I think just works. I certainly remember whispering "Pop Goes the Weasel." Nemesis to me is a lot like TNG season 7, in that it's not really as good as what came before, but I still like it more than most people seem to and it remains a mostly well-done adventure starring my favorite Trek crew.

I watched some of the deleted scenes that I felt would be great in the movie, that would round out the story ( I loved the Chateau Picard scene). I don't know, but I am starting to like this movie more and more.

J.

The Borgified Corpse November 4 2009 09:50 AM

Re: What did you like about Nemesis?
 
Visually, the movie is amazing, both in terms of production design and cinematography.

Stuart Baird shoots the Enterprise bridge from a lot of angles that we normally don't see it from.

Brent Spiner does a great job of distinguishing B-4 from Data.

Anything with Ron Perlman in it is automatically cool.

I love crossovers, so I'm glad we get an Admiral Janeway cameo, even if it is tiny.

It's the Next Generation cast on the big screen, dawg!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.