The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Superman Casting: Younger Or Older? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=107198)

Jetfire November 2 2009 07:04 AM

Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
Why has the casting for Superman always someone younger...even with fans???

Brandon Routh was like 25-26
Christopher Reeve 24-25

Even with Lois...

Kate Bosworth 22ish
Margot Kidder around 29 so that isn't bad.

These characters I thought were ment to be 30 something and the actors playing should be 30 something or older???

If a Superman movies is made in the near future and it is a reboot...should the casting be younger or older???

:borg:

Nerys Myk November 2 2009 07:42 AM

Re: Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
Quote:

Jetfire wrote: (Post 3541535)
Why has the casting for Superman always someone younger...even with fans???

Brandon Routh was like 25-26
Christopher Reeve 24-25

Even with Lois...

Kate Bosworth 22ish
Margot Kidder around 29 so that isn't bad.

These characters I thought were ment to be 30 something and the actors playing should be 30 something or older???

If a Superman movies is made in the near future and it is a reboot...should the casting be younger or older???

:borg:

Depends on which part of Superman's career the movie takes place in. Superman: The Movie takes place at the start of hos career, Superman Returns a few years later. So he can be anywhere from early twenties to about thirty.

davejames November 2 2009 07:49 AM

Re: Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
I would definitely prefer an older, George Reeves-style Superman, but I don't really mind the younger ones. I thought Routh looked damn cool in the costume, and would have loved to have seen him continue.

Snaploud November 2 2009 07:50 AM

Re: Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...naploud/02.gif

or better yet

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...naploud/15.gif

The Boy Who Cried Worf November 2 2009 09:04 AM

Re: Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
Quote:

Jetfire wrote: (Post 3541535)
Why has the casting for Superman always someone younger...even with fans???

Brandon Routh was like 25-26
Christopher Reeve 24-25

Even with Lois...

Kate Bosworth 22ish
Margot Kidder around 29 so that isn't bad.

These characters I thought were ment to be 30 something and the actors playing should be 30 something or older???

If a Superman movies is made in the near future and it is a reboot...should the casting be younger or older???

:borg:


That's interesting. Kidder and Reeve just seemed a lot older, and more mature than Bosworth and Roush who seemed like high school kids in a play. I'd like to see actors in their 30's. Superman should have some of the gravitas, and Lois should have some of the savvy, that comes with a little bit of age.

Checkmate November 2 2009 09:06 AM

Re: Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
http://www.toonsart.co.uk/aspx/dbImage.aspx?blobId=209

About that old and, more importantly, about that build.

nx1701g November 2 2009 04:39 PM

Re: Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
They'll always go with someone younger for these reasons:

1.) Younger actor = longer he can continue playing the role.
2.) Younger actor = less well known i.e. cheaper.
3.) Younger actor = (typically) stupid and will sign just for the opportunity.

Greg Cox November 2 2009 04:43 PM

Re: Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
Younger actors also appeal more to younger viewers, who are the primary movie audience and most valuable tv demographic.

nx1701g November 2 2009 04:46 PM

Re: Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
^ that too.

Captaindemotion November 2 2009 04:53 PM

Re: Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
Not to mention that it's easier for a young guy to keep himself in superheroic shape. That's not to take away from the 30 and 40 something Jackman, Craigs or Bales who have gotten themselves in fantastic shape for their various roles. But the older they get, the harder that's going to be to maintain it.

nx1701g November 2 2009 04:55 PM

Re: Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
^ Or you just do what they did for Bale when he took the role of Batman - agree to pay him a million dollars to get in shape before he even signs the contract (yes that happened). He had lost almost his entire musculature for The Machinist and they paid him that amount to get back into healthy shape.

davejames November 2 2009 10:13 PM

Re: Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
Quote:

Checkmate wrote: (Post 3541661)

About that old and, more importantly, about that build.

I'd be fine with that.... as long as he wouldn't have that ridiculously huge S on his chest.

gastrof November 2 2009 10:38 PM

Re: Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
Quote:

Jetfire wrote: (Post 3541535)
Why has the casting for Superman always someone younger...even with fans???

Brandon Routh was like 25-26
Christopher Reeve 24-25

Even with Lois...

Kate Bosworth 22ish
Margot Kidder around 29 so that isn't bad.

These characters I thought were ment to be 30 something and the actors playing should be 30 something or older???...

Actually, the rule of thumb has long been that Clark is "about 30 years old", which means he became Superman in his early to mid 20's.

The example above of a very old Superman is a serious departure, and is really a one-shot thing. Don't believe it's even in continuity with the regular comics. Just sort of a "What If?" story.

For quite a while now (believe it still holds, although continuity was recently "tweaked") the story's been that Clark left home when he finished high school, and traveled the world for seven years, taking college courses online, before deciding to go home and find a way to use his powers in public.

This led of course to the creation of a "new" version of Clark (whose looks had changed quite a bit and people hadn't seen in years anyway), and Superman.

If he was 18 when he left home, this would place the creation of Superman when he was about 25.

gastrof November 2 2009 10:42 PM

Re: Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
Quote:

davejames wrote: (Post 3541580)
...I thought Routh looked damn cool in the costume, and would have loved to have seen him continue.

That wasn't Superman's costume. His colors are blue, yellow and red, not blue, yellow and brown.

Jetfire November 2 2009 10:43 PM

Re: Superman Casting: Younger Or Older?
 
^
I always thought he put on the suit at 30?

still, if he's 25 when he puts on the suit getting someone 30-35ish to play him would be better than getting someone who is 25 but looks 18. IMHO.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.