The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=107146)

Dusty Ayres November 1 2009 03:34 PM

What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
Was it a fling with another woman? Too much work and not enough home time with the wife and daughter? Another fling with Emony Dax? Any speculation would be appreciated.

Cyke101 November 1 2009 04:37 PM

Re: What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
Quote:

Dusty Ayres wrote: (Post 3539379)
Another fling with Emony Dax?

In my personal canon? This.

Mrs_Whatsit November 1 2009 05:28 PM

Re: What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
I've had a personal theory for ages, which was originally based on some stupid Mary Sue-ish fanfics I write. But it was actually made plausible for me in STXI.

I always thought his wife wasn't happy being married to a "simple country doctor" who was gone long hours and would never be a rich man. So I figured she dumped him for a model with a higher earning potential, and then took him for every cent she could in the divorce.

In XI, he seemed too damaged for the divorce not to have been hellish, which would lead me to speculate that she could be a vindictive bitch who blindsided him. So thanks to Orci, Kurtzman, and Karl Urban, that's still my story and I'm sticking to it. With much reading between the lines, of course. :)

Jeri November 1 2009 05:30 PM

Re: What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
How could he get hooked up with a nightmare like that? It's like that Janice Lester topic in the TOS forum.

Mrs_Whatsit November 1 2009 05:35 PM

Re: What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
Quote:

Jeri wrote: (Post 3539587)
How could he get hooked up with a nightmare like that? It's like that Janice Lester topic in the TOS forum.

If you're talking about my theory, Jeri, she wasn't originally a nightmare. My stories have a whole universe built around Dr. McCoy, which I won't go into here. All the years spent writing them probably explains why I was such a loser in high school. :guffaw:

Jeri November 1 2009 06:36 PM

Re: What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
Oh, everybody's a loser in high school. Thank goodness it eventually ends and real life commences. You picked a nice way to survive it.

Well, we ought to invest in cryogenics like that STNG episode, just so we can live long enough to punch her in the nose for making our doctor such a wreck.

AJBryant November 1 2009 08:18 PM

Re: What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
I think he probably got married while in med school or an intern, and the wife expected he was going to be some high-profile doc at a major hospital somewhere, and she would bask in the reflected glory and its related lifestyle -- but he wanted to be a country GP instead. That *does* happen to med students and young doctors *a lot.*

Therin of Andor November 1 2009 08:39 PM

Re: What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
Quote:

Dusty Ayres wrote: (Post 3539379)
Any speculation would be appreciated.

McCoy's ex-wife is a major guest star in the novel, "Shadows on the Sun" by Michael Jan Friedman (hardcover 1993, and later in paperback).

BenRoethig November 2 2009 12:39 AM

Re: What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
Typical divorce reason. He finally stood up and said no to her spending all his hard earned paycheck on herself and she took everything he had.

JuanBolio November 2 2009 12:51 AM

Re: What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
She had sex with another man. Unbeknown to McCoy but beknown to his Captain, it was Kirk. That's why Jim always has that little smile. He nailed Spock's mother, too.

Ward Fowler November 2 2009 01:25 AM

Re: What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
His wife didn't understand that sometimes you gotta let a playah play.

Mr. Laser Beam November 2 2009 01:34 AM

Re: What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
Quote:

Cyke101 wrote: (Post 3539474)
Quote:

Dusty Ayres wrote: (Post 3539379)
Another fling with Emony Dax?

In my personal canon? This.

Here's a thought: What if McCoy's ex *was* Emony Dax? :D

T'Cal November 2 2009 03:05 AM

Re: What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
Reason for the divorce? Um, he's an a$$hole?!? Seems obvious to me. ;)

The Castellan November 2 2009 05:49 AM

Re: What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
Could be that the chick he married was a complete, cast-iron BITCH. :borg:

Dusty Ayres November 2 2009 08:09 AM

Re: What is the reason behind McCoy's divorce?
 
Quote:

Mrs_Whatsit wrote: (Post 3539583)
I've had a personal theory for ages, which was originally based on some stupid Mary Sue-ish fanfics I write. But it was actually made plausible for me in STXI.

I always thought his wife wasn't happy being married to a "simple country doctor" who was gone long hours and would never be a rich man. So I figured she dumped him for a model with a higher earning potential, and then took him for every cent she could in the divorce.

In XI, he seemed too damaged for the divorce not to have been hellish, which would lead me to speculate that she could be a vindictive bitch who blindsided him. So thanks to Orci, Kurtzman, and Karl Urban, that's still my story and I'm sticking to it. With much reading between the lines, of course. :)

Great idea.

Quote:

AJBryant wrote: (Post 3539893)
I think he probably got married while in med school or an intern, and the wife expected he was going to be some high-profile doc at a major hospital somewhere, and she would bask in the reflected glory and its related lifestyle -- but he wanted to be a country GP instead. That *does* happen to med students and young doctors *a lot.*

That, and also I bet that McCoy was seeing some ladies behind her back, maybe a nurse or a doctor.

Quote:

BenRoethig wrote: (Post 3540658)
Typical divorce reason. He finally stood up and said no to her spending all his hard earned paycheck on herself and she took everything he had.

I wonder why she'd be so lazy in a century like the 23rd, where both spouses work?

Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 3540780)
Quote:

Cyke101 wrote: (Post 3539474)
Quote:

Dusty Ayres wrote: (Post 3539379)
Another fling with Emony Dax?

In my personal canon? This.

Here's a thought: What if McCoy's ex *was* Emony Dax? :D

I doubt it, otherwise Jadzia would have known about it and said so in 'Trials And Tribble-lations'-all that she said was that she knew him from when he was a med student and she saw him doing gymnastics.

Quote:

T'Cal wrote: (Post 3540960)
Reason for the divorce? Um, he's an a$$hole?!? Seems obvious to me. ;)

He was feeling like shit-I don't think that he was much of one.

Quote:

The Castellan wrote: (Post 3541372)
Could be that the chick he married was a complete, cast-iron BITCH. :borg:

That could be, too, and why he probably steered clear of women after that, with the exception of Natira. He doesn't even really look or make a glance at Chapel much of the time on the TV show.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.