The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   SMITH + FAVREAU + SUPERMAN (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=106880)

Jetfire October 28 2009 09:11 PM

SMITH + FAVREAU + SUPERMAN

I know this will never happen. I know Kevin Smith was given a chance to take on writing a Superman script in the 90's...

Wouldn't this be the best bet for a Superman film to be a success???

Kevin Smith & John Favreau I think could really make the epic Superman movie we have been hoping for since the Superman I & II.

Kelso October 29 2009 01:03 AM

Re: SMITH + FAVREAU + SUPERMAN

I thought the title was referring to Will Smith.

Ward Fowler October 29 2009 01:09 AM

I really like Kevin Smith but I don't think his style is a good fit with Superman. I read his script and I wasn't impressed at all.

Broccoli October 29 2009 01:47 AM

Quote:

Kelso wrote: (Post 3529691)

As did I. That would be a very out there casting choice for Supes/Clark Kent....like Nick Cage out there...

Quote:

Hard Howler wrote: (Post 3529704)
I really like Kevin Smith but I don't think his style is a good fit with Superman. I read his script and I wasn't impressed at all.

In fairness to Smith, he wasn't really given a free reign to do what he probably wanted to do. He was told to put various, occasionally bizarre, things in the script by Jon Peters.

TheBrew October 29 2009 01:51 AM

The best part about Kevin's script was hearing him tell about how it came apart.

"Giant fucking SPIDERS!"

Ward Fowler October 29 2009 03:20 AM

Quote:

I Got A Rock wrote: (Post 3529817)
In fairness to Smith, he wasn't really given a free reign to do what he probably wanted to do. He was told to put various, occasionally bizarre, things in the script by Jon Peters.

Yeah, I know. I saw "An Evening with Kevin Smith". :) My problem with the script wasn't so much the plot devices that were force on him, but the dialogue. IMO he didn't change his style enough to make it appropriate to a Superman film.

gastrof October 29 2009 04:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As did I. That would be a very out there casting choice for Supes/Clark Kent....like Nick Cage out there...

Cage at least looked a little like the character might look. I'm sorry, but casting Smith would be like casting a blonde guy as Superman.

Bringing comicbook characters to life onscreen should mean they LOOK like the character.

I hate the idea of putting just ANYONE who's "cool" or "a bombshell" into a role and figuring it'll fly.

No pun intended.

O'Dib October 29 2009 10:52 AM

A blond guy could dye his hair.

Shazam! October 29 2009 11:28 AM

Will Smith could dye his face.

Sagart October 29 2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Shazam! wrote: (Post 3530814)
Will Smith could dye his face.

So he'd be the black dude, playing the alien dude, playing the white human dude.

Ok.

Captaindemotion October 29 2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

gastrof wrote: (Post 3530320)
Quote:

Quote:

Cage at least looked a little like the character might look. I'm sorry, but casting Smith would be like casting a blonde guy as Superman.

Bringing comicbook characters to life onscreen should mean they LOOK like the character.

I hate the idea of putting just ANYONE who's "cool" or "a bombshell" into a role and figuring it'll fly.

No pun intended.

I agree in principle with what you're saying but I actually think Will Smith would be a better Superman than Cage. I like Cage a lot, but he is too quirky, offbeat, redneck, stoner, geeky and balding to be Superman. Smith at least looks like a conventional square-jawed superhero.

I'd take a black Superman over a balding one with a mullet and nose the size of the Fortress of Solitude. Remember the pic that was doing the rounds here a few weeks ago? Eeeeek!

ClayinCA October 29 2009 06:22 PM

^ Or they could, I dunno, cast someone who looks like Superman.

RobertScorpio October 29 2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Hard Howler wrote: (Post 3529704)

Wow..a first!! You and I agree on this totally!!!

Rob

Aragorn October 29 2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

So Jon Peters was the first Avi Arad? :lol:

RobertScorpio October 29 2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Aragorn wrote: (Post 3531611)
Quote:

So Jon Peters was the first Avi Arad? :lol:

Jon Peters was involved? I will give smith a pass on this one then..oye...

Rob