The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=105546)

jazzstick October 10 2009 05:20 AM

Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
Hey Everybody!

I have such fond memories of Voyager, and one in particular comes from when for what ever reason, from no matter what part in the house my father was in, when Voyager was on he would shout "Oh boy! Lesbians in space!". It would seem that he views women in authority as somehow less feminine and more masculine. He swore that Janeway and Seven had a thing! Did Janeway ever come off as being a fan of the ladies more that the guys to anybody else? Would this be because she was in command? Does authority make a woman less feminie because they are in a dominant role?

Herkimer Jitty October 10 2009 05:26 AM

Re: Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
Janeway hardly ever came across as sexual - she really had a decidedly more maternal relationship with many of the crew, particularly Seven. For her and Seven to have a "thing" would be.... weird. Very weird. I honestly don't think her being God Emperor Captain of Voyager particularly compromised her femininity.

I think your pops is just a wee bit misogynistic.

SpaceBrotha October 10 2009 05:28 AM

Re: Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
She may have been maternal but even a mother needs some lovin

SpaceBrotha October 10 2009 05:29 AM

Re: Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
Also I don't think her authority made her less feminine as much as her baritone voice.

jazzstick October 10 2009 05:32 AM

Re: Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
You know now that I think about it, they never really address this much did they. It was a long voyage the captain had needs? Didn't she bang Paris after they went warp nine?

SpaceBrotha October 10 2009 05:39 AM

Re: Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
I bet she just went on the holodeck and scissored furiously with a virtual seven of nine.

Temis the Vorta October 10 2009 05:42 AM

Re: Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
Quote:

He swore that Janeway and Seven had a thing!
Oh well it's an old story. Kirk/Spock started it off, it's been under its own steam ever since.

For my money, Laura Roslin has Janeway beat all hollow.

Pemmer Harge October 10 2009 09:03 AM

Re: Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
Janeway never struck me as unfeminine. The only reason I can think of that people might consider her "masculine" is that she's (gasp!) in charge and the men on the ship have to follow her orders.

jazzstick October 10 2009 01:10 PM

Re: Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
Quote:

Pemmer Harge wrote: (Post 3475751)
Janeway never struck me as unfeminine. The only reason I can think of that people might consider her "masculine" is that she's (gasp!) in charge and the men on the ship have to follow her orders.


Well! I'm sorry if things just aren't as clear to me as they are to you! (gasp!) I guess we all can't be as insightful and superior as you Mr. Master of the human condition!

Sheesh!

DevilEyes October 10 2009 01:34 PM

Re: Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
Quote:

SpaceBrotha wrote: (Post 3475462)
Also I don't think her authority made her less feminine as much as her baritone voice.

That's a contralto, not a baritone. I'm not aware of any woman in existence who has a baritone. Or even a tenor, for that matter.

Pemmer Harge October 10 2009 04:24 PM

Re: Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
Quote:

jazzstick wrote: (Post 3475893)
Quote:

Pemmer Harge wrote: (Post 3475751)
Janeway never struck me as unfeminine. The only reason I can think of that people might consider her "masculine" is that she's (gasp!) in charge and the men on the ship have to follow her orders.


Well! I'm sorry if things just aren't as clear to me as they are to you! (gasp!) I guess we all can't be as insightful and superior as you Mr. Master of the human condition!

Sheesh!

:wtf:

M October 10 2009 05:08 PM

Re: Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
Quote:

jazzstick wrote: (Post 3475447)
Did Janeway ever come off as being a fan of the ladies more that the guys to anybody else? Would this be because she was in command? Does authority make a woman less feminie because they are in a dominant role?

No, no and no.

And on a personal note, I hope you haven't listened too much to the nonsense spouted by your father.

Quote:

SpaceBrotha wrote: (Post 3475475)
I bet she just went on the holodeck and scissored furiously with a virtual seven of nine.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Quote:

Pemmer Harge wrote: (Post 3476103)
Quote:

jazzstick wrote: (Post 3475893)
Well! I'm sorry if things just aren't as clear to me as they are to you! (gasp!) I guess we all can't be as insightful and superior as you Mr. Master of the human condition!

Sheesh!

:wtf:

:wtf: indeed.

iguana_tonante October 10 2009 05:42 PM

Re: Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
This won't end well. :vulcan:

The Wormhole October 10 2009 10:59 PM

Re: Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
Quote:

jazzstick wrote: (Post 3475465)
You know now that I think about it, they never really address this much did they. It was a long voyage the captain had needs? Didn't she bang Paris after they went warp nine?

To be accurate, after travelling at warp ten caused her and Tom Paris to mutate into salamanders (the next stage of human evolution) they had sex and she gave birth to futuristic salamander offspring.

You know, I don't care what anyone says, I love that episode!

Joshua Howard October 11 2009 10:30 PM

Re: Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.
 
Well, I haven't watched the VOY series yet, so I will not say anything about Janeway. However, when it comes to female bosses, that is an interesting dynamic. If you are the (male) flea under the foot of the boss, and the evil manager is an attractive woman, there is the attraction element which always fights with the desire to escape the great evil that is haunting your very life. It adds a terrifying psychological part to an otherwise inappropriate crush.

As for the OP's dad, I kind of rank him in a separate category. Some people really get a kick out of gay jokes, and for him, it is probably just as simple as that. The very fact that the character on screen isn't sleeping with dudes frequently and is seen around other women is taken as proof enough that there is something strange going on.

In any case, one vital part of romanticism is the male desire to protect a woman (Think The Menagerie) which is clearly not there if said woman outranks him and is giving orders. I wouldn't say that a woman being boss eliminates her femininity as a whole, but it probably does for those who are below her in rank.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.