The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Why is command wearing blue? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=104335)

billcosby September 23 2009 06:54 PM

Why is command wearing blue?

It just occured to me on board the Kelvin that command (George Kirk, Robau) are wearing blue.

Was this discussed before? It must have been... but looks like Starfleet did the old color switcheroo for departments in that time period.

Jimmy_C September 23 2009 08:23 PM

Re: Why is command wearing blue?

Same reason command wore red in TNG: it looked better on the actors.

Broccoli September 23 2009 08:26 PM

Robau willed it.

cooleddie74 September 23 2009 08:32 PM

Well, let's be fair here. Was there any piping of a different color on Robau's/Kirk's uniforms to show the command department colors of 2233? Which...since they were gold during the time of ENTERPRISE 70-80 years before and were also gold during both classic TOS and the new timeline...was probably gold? I could never make out any piping on the blue Kelvin uniforms what with all the lens flare, bright explosions and rapid camera movements during the opening battle sequence.

M'Sharak September 23 2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

billcosby wrote: (Post 3425113)
It just occured to me on board the Kelvin that command (George Kirk, Robau) are wearing blue.

Was this discussed before? It must have been... but looks like Starfleet did the old color switcheroo for departments in that time period.

There was a thread months ago, before the movie hit the theaters (try a search for "The Kelvin's uniforms" if you want to check it out.) I think most people just figured that 25 years was long enough that a couple of changes in uniform design and departmental color scheme could have taken place between then and the time of the episodes of the original series.

Cyke101 September 23 2009 08:42 PM

Blue was used by Kirk and other high-ranking senior staff in TMP, too:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...icity_shot.png

No idea why Decker is in gold, but the film never really established much anyway.

Stag September 23 2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

Cyke101 wrote: (Post 3425547)

No idea why Decker is in gold, but the film never really established much anyway.

Ah yes, the uniforms from Star Trek, the Camel Toe generation.

back to the OP, I think the Kelvin uniforms were to be an outgrowth/development of the Enterprise blue jumpsuits.

cooleddie74 September 23 2009 09:45 PM

Imagine what Trip Tucker would have looked like in those Kelvin uniforms had he lived another 70-odd years.

I think I just gave some of the ENT forum regulars multiple orgasms.

Therin of Andor September 23 2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Decker wore the beige in pre-publicity shots because he was the last person cast and his uniforms weren't ready yet. The beige appears rather gold in that series of pics due to lighting, and it was a prototype of the grey jumpsuit version he used in the movie. In those same shots, Chapel is also in blue/grey, but wears beige in the movie. Spock is missing his black Vulcan collar, and Kirk's uniform has both sleeve stripes and epaulets!

The production notes for TMP say that all crewmembers could have their choice of uniform colour. It's not indicitive of senior vs junior. (Division was shown by the circled circle behind the insignia and, on some styles, epaulets, and rank shown on sleeve stripes or epaulet stripes.) Note that Lieutenant Ilia and the Rhaandarite bridge ensign wear blue/grey, and they are both outranked by Uhura, Sulu and Chapel.

Therin of Andor September 23 2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

cooleddie74 wrote: (Post 3425788)
Imagine what Trip Tucker would have looked like in those Kelvin uniforms had he lived another 70-odd years.

They've already had their orgasms in the recent ENT fiction from Pocket Books. ;)

Quote:

Stag wrote: (Post 3425715)
I think the Kelvin uniforms were to be an outgrowth/development of the Enterprise blue jumpsuits.

Yep, I believe that was stated in several interviews with the production team.

cooleddie74 September 23 2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 3425879)
Quote:

cooleddie74 wrote: (Post 3425788)

They've already had their orgasms in the recent ENT fiction from Pocket Books. ;)

Good point. :lol:

Why do I even bring this stuff up?

Cyke101 September 23 2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 3425870)
Quote:

Decker wore the beige in pre-publicity shots because he was the last person cast and his uniforms weren't ready yet. The beige appears rather gold in that series of pics due to lighting, and it was a prototype of the grey jumpsuit version he used in the movie. In those same shots, Chapel is also in blue/grey, but wears beige in the movie. Spock is missing his black Vulcan collar, and Kirk's uniform has both sleeve stripes and epaulets!

The production notes for TMP say that all crewmembers could have their choice of uniform colour. It's not indicitive of senior vs junior. (Division was shown by the circled circle behind the insignia and, on some styles, epaulets, and rank shown on sleeve stripes or epaulet stripes.) Note that Lieutenant Ilia and the Rhaandarite bridge ensign wear blue/grey, and they are both outranked by Uhura, Sulu and Chapel.

Kirk's also wearing blue in your collar. Precedent!

Ahem, anyway, maybe the Kelvin crew got to choose what colors to wear as well.

nx1701g September 23 2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

cooleddie74 wrote: (Post 3425506)
Well, let's be fair here. Was there any piping of a different color on Robau's/Kirk's uniforms to show the command department colors of 2233? Which...since they were gold during the time of ENTERPRISE 70-80 years before and were also gold during both classic TOS and the new timeline...was probably gold? I could never make out any piping on the blue Kelvin uniforms what with all the lens flare, bright explosions and rapid camera movements during the opening battle sequence.

The piping was black on the uniforms.

The colors were:

Blue: Command
Goldish Green
Grey
White: Medical

ncc-1017-e September 24 2009 02:52 AM

Quote:

Because there is no ryhm or reason to the costumes in this movie outside of the Enterprise uniforms! All the other starfleet uniforms make no sense at all! The admirals costume look like some monks costumes from robinhood! The art directiom as a whole is off mark!

Broccoli September 24 2009 03:48 AM

Quote:

ncc-1017-e wrote: (Post 3426867)
Quote:

Because there is no ryhm or reason to the costumes in this movie outside of the Enterprise uniforms! All the other starfleet uniforms make no sense at all! The admirals costume look like some monks costumes from robinhood! The art directiom as a whole is off mark!

I'm confused.