The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Cops in the area of Camp Crystal Lake (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=102286)

Bad Bishop August 26 2009 07:28 PM

Cops in the area of Camp Crystal Lake

In Friday the 13th (2009), Clay Miller (Jared Padalecki) goes searching for Whitney, his missing sister. A cop (Richard Burgi) offers no help; the local police have basically given up.

But why? Did the cops not find that filthy cabin near the lake? Clay found it easily. Did they know about the cabin, but considered it to be completely irrelevant to search for the missing girl and the other kids? Why? They should have searched the place during daylight. And how did the cops miss the GPS unit dropped by one of Jason's victims? Clay found it.

The cops have a lot to answer for in this film. Did they completely fail to find victims or stop Jason because they were shorthanded? Or were the cops just lazy or incompetent?

paudemge August 26 2009 09:19 PM

Re: Cops in the area of Camp Crystal Lake

Maybe there where scared. What happens at camp crystal lake, stays at camp crystal lake

Mr. Laser Beam August 26 2009 10:14 PM

Has there ever been a competent police officer in *any* horror film? If they had good cops, they wouldn't have a story. :p

The Borgified Corpse August 26 2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Bad Bishop wrote: (Post 3338553)
In Friday the 13th (2009), Clay Miller (Jared Padalecki) goes searching for Whitney, his missing sister. A cop (Richard Burgi) offers no help; the local police have basically given up.

Richard Burgi has absolutely no excuse for such sloppy police work. Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsQho...om=PL&index=13

Teelie August 30 2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 3339207)
Has there ever been a competent police officer in *any* horror film? If they had good cops, they wouldn't have a story. :p

There are good cops, they just do dumb things to get killed off quickly before they can do something right. The rest of the time, yeah, they have idiots for cops.

Lindley August 30 2009 09:00 PM

Unless the cop is the main character, as in Slither.....

Harvey August 30 2009 11:53 PM

I don't think the police force of Crystal Lake has been particularly competent in any incarnation of the series, least of all the crappy remake. Chalk it up as another (bad) horror film convention.

darkwing_duck1 August 31 2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 3351682)
I don't think the police force of Crystal Lake has been particularly competent in any incarnation of the series, least of all the crappy remake. Chalk it up as another (bad) horror film convention.

In horror films, cops are one of three things:

1) hideously incompetent (most)

2) competent but shackled by office/city politics (Jaws, Predator II)

or 3) in on the horror (The Howling)

nx1701g August 31 2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Lindley wrote: (Post 3351164)
Unless the cop is the main character, as in Slither.....

Or like Peter in Dawn of the Dead.

JacksonArcher August 31 2009 09:48 AM

I think a lot of things were incompetent in the Friday the 13th remake besides that sex scene.

Starbreaker August 31 2009 05:14 PM

I'm a huge fan of the franchise, and this is probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I'd rather you not bring it up again. :lol:

Trubinator September 1 2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 3339207)

I believe many consider the first Terminator film to be science fiction/horror. And the police weren't quite stupid in that movie.

Hermiod September 1 2009 07:23 AM

^Hold on, though. They arrest Reese, and he tells them a story about robotic killing machines and how one of them is chasing Sarah etc etc etc. That story was clearly recorded.

Then, a man meeting the description Reese gave attacks the police station, wipes out most of the officers stationed there but the psychologist who interviewed Reese clearly survives. At no point during what must have been one of the largest criminal investigations in American history (somebody murdered at least a dozen cops after all) did somebody watch that tape ?

Trubinator September 1 2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Hermiod wrote: (Post 3356256)
^Hold on, though. They arrest Reese, and he tells them a story about robotic killing machines and how one of them is chasing Sarah etc etc etc. That story was clearly recorded.

Then, a man meeting the description Reese gave attacks the police station, wipes out most of the officers stationed there but the psychologist who interviewed Reese clearly survives. At no point during what must have been one of the largest criminal investigations in American history (somebody murdered at least a dozen cops after all) did somebody watch that tape ?

I think they referenced that in T2. The cops and the psychologist probably remembered what they wanted to and made assumptions they were comfortable with. I see that as realistic because most people are stupid...

Teelie September 1 2009 05:26 PM

Most people aren't stupid. That's a stupid assumption to make. Most people are quite willing to bury the truth in their subconcious and forget it in favor of a lie that's more believable however, which is a very valid assumption. What's better to know: a man goes in with full body armor and stirkes it lucky killing a dozen officers or he's a robotic killing machine from the future and virtually unstoppable with modern weaponry?