The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   "We won't reach minumum safe distance if we don't leave immediately." (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=100156)

diftorhehsmusma July 30 2009 08:18 PM

"We won't reach minumum safe distance if we don't leave immediately."

just about every aspect of this film has been nit-picked around here (funfun!) but this is something that bothered me the first time i saw it and every subsequent viewing: the girl on the bridge who, during the scene where vulcan is imploded, says the above line, then they continue to hang around for several more minutes. long enough, if memory serves, for kirk and sulu to be beamed back aboard and spock to go down to rescue his parents and return.
what is this? bad editing? bad writing? and anyway, most people understand on some level that this would be the case. why was this line even in there? seems like a cheap attempt to elevate the tension where this wasn't really necessary.

Mr. B July 30 2009 08:24 PM

Re: "We won't reach minumum safe distance if we don't leave immediatel

Bad writing... from the tag team that brought you "Oh, no! The machine is buried in the pyramid! If they turn it on, it will destroy the sun!"

Psion July 30 2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Mr. B wrote: (Post 3246948)
Bad writing... from the tag team that brought you "Oh, no! The machine is buried in the pyramid! If they turn it on, it will destroy the sun!"

Huh?! What the blazes is that from?

Mr. B July 30 2009 08:51 PM

Transformers 2

Psion July 30 2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Mr. B wrote: (Post 3247074)
Transformers 2

[shakes head and rubs forehead in disbelief]

Alright, they're dumb as posts, but there's no denying that these writers put fannies in the seats.

davejames July 30 2009 09:11 PM

Eh, all the Treks do that kind of thing to raise the tension. I mean, everytime there's a battle scene, we hear the same exact refrains again and again: "Shields down to 20%!!!" or "Divert all power to the shields!!!" or "We can't take another hit like that!!!" etc.

It all certainly SOUNDS cool, but nothing really ever comes of it. It's just for effect.

number6 July 30 2009 10:14 PM

It was there to heighten the tension just like every Star Trek that came before it.

This constant drum beating to find something to complain about is getting old and stupid.

KingstonTrekker July 30 2009 10:17 PM

[This constant drum beating to find something to complain about is getting old and stupid.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! :)

MvRojo July 30 2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Mr. B wrote: (Post 3246948)

Ugh. Don't remind me.

Devon July 31 2009 01:21 AM

Quote:

diftorhehsmusma wrote: (Post 3246928)
then they continue to hang around for several more minutes. long enough, if memory serves, for kirk and sulu to be beamed back aboard and spock to go down to rescue his parents and return.
what is this? bad editing? bad writing?

It's a non-issue. What precludes them from having reached a minimal safe distance during that time?

Quote:

number6 wrote: (Post 3247460)
This constant drum beating to find something to complain about is getting old and stupid.

Agreed.

diftorhehsmusma July 31 2009 01:40 AM

ok, fine. i was just trying to have some fun. i see your point, but if you aren't interested in bits like this, just ignore them. no need to get testy.

Mr. Adventure July 31 2009 02:01 AM

The line made me smile though because it made me think of Aliens.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...ns/Aliens.html
Actually, I see on that website they had the "Punch it" line in there as well...

urbandk July 31 2009 02:14 AM

Same old Star Trek science. Whatever. Besides, a black hole with the mass of a planet would have the gravitational pull of that planet. They wouldn't have to adjust their orbit at all.

diftorhehsmusma July 31 2009 02:20 AM

so it's just a stupid line? <sigh> i guess i can live with that. in a film that's neat but already far from perfect, i guess it's just one more goofy thing. but for some reason it bothers me more than just about anything else. huge coincidences? ok. iffy, double-faced science? fine; after all, it is science fiction. but this bit is just unnecessarily stupid. in future i shall do my best to just ignore it. :(

SonicRanger July 31 2009 02:31 AM

Who's to say that the Enterprise didn't back off a bit to a safe distance after that line was spoken? Why do people need to see everything in exacting detail? Would you only think the Enterprise moved away a bit if we heard the "beep, beep, beep" of it backing up?